• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 700 RMK Carb adjustments

L
Feb 28, 2009
Got some new carbs (ok, they are used, but in great cond!) off ebay for $100. For those of you who read my previous post, my Keihin float pin holes had completely ovaled out and the engine was constantly flooded.

New carbs are in. 155 main jets, and 38 pilots (as you all suggested for 10k ft.) Thing runs awesome! Gonna be scary fast! HAven't gotten to really open it up... just tried it on our street (it is snowing really hard right now).

Here is the last thing I am dealing with. Have a noticeable hesitation and an occasional backfire when I start to give it gas from idle. My air adjustment screw is 1 turn out... and my needles are set one position from the top (can drop needle 1 lower, or 3 higher from here). Also, the Polaris mech suggested that I run the 2 vent lines off the carb back to the airbox. He sold me a couple of plasitc nipples. Those are now installed as well.

So, what's the hesitation/backfire... and how do I get rid of it? (My guess is that I am lean... need to move the needles up? Turn the air screw in? 38 Jet not big enough?) My $ is on moving up the needle... but how far? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks for all the great help!

John

ps tightened up by front limiter straps a bit, added new carbides, and softened front suspension for better turning. Think I got that figured out from what I tried today! Can't wait to get this thing in the mtns!!! Have some extensions coming. Hope next post will be about lengthening the track!

Last edited:
L
Feb 28, 2009
thanks

Cool. Was wondering if the needle was the culprit. Tightened the air/fuel screw a 1/4 turn and turned the idle up a touch last night. Haven't had time to test it. Will move the needle a spot and see what happens.

Thanks for the post. Will let you know.

John

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
What elevation are you at when doing your test run in the street? It seems to me that if you're jetted for 10k ft, then it's bound to be running too lean if you're doing your test run at lower elevation.

Premium Features