• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900's

M
Nov 26, 2007
BC
I was wondering if the older 900 cat twins were reliable engines? I've never ridden one nor do I know anybody that owns one. Was just wondering if they were any good because there is a really good buy on one here locally that I woudln't mind picking up. I think it's a '04 1m.
Any feedback would be great. Thanks:beer;

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
If you wan't to accelerate and have durability at the same time it can't be beat! I would leave a single pipe on it and not do twins unless you know what you are doing! Mid range lean spot only gets worse, Just vary the throttle. There are no belt problems and just keep the clutches clean and operating efficiently. They may not have the best suspension, But will get you to the top of the hill if need be! They were the sled to beat for many yrs. and the new ones have there work cut out for them! If the price is right, Take it and modify to your hearts content! A little body english goes a long way with these and your muscles will get a work out! Which is good!

Mike

Last edited:

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
they suck...no torque, falls flat on its face, too heavy :rolleyes:..on that note, who's selling and how much :beer;

one thing that they did have a problem with was the crank bearings going out, too much torque would literally twist the motor up. Carb sleds take mods extremely well. pending on how good the deal is i would say pick it up....

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Yeah, Your right they are heavy like a slammed caddy, Wallow like an "Ol'e Garbage Scowl! Makes you look like a 6 yr. old kid after your older sister gave you a big shove on her old worn out 3 speed bicycle for the first time. But if you raise it up all around like a '74 High Boy Ford it will carve effortlessly side to side and will have less drag in the deep!

Mike

D
Dec 31, 2007
n. idaho
i had a 03 900 151, i loved it . it had 3250 miles on it when i got rid of it and only changed the belt twice, the second time was my bad. never did anything else to it
if you want torque and rideability you cant go wrong with a 900.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My dad and I still ride 900 based cats. We have less money in three of our sleds than my brother has in his M1000, and if he beats us by any, it's not much.

The only motor problems we've had with them have either had really high miles, or been tuning errors on our part.

Plus, this motor won't fit (without a lot more work than I want to put in it) in an M:

IMG_0811.jpg

R
Nov 27, 2007
Maintain your clutch.......in my case the 900 likes it eat pin bushings. Love the torque! I was disappointment with the power on m7's.

Premium Features