• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 carb to EFI and Turbo?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I'm planning to buy ZR 800 -01 engine for my old iron and make a completely useless fun machine out of it :) Bad thing engine carbed version and I'd like to turbo it. I already have EFI 800 -02 ecu etc stuff laying in my carage but I don't know if they fit? I haven't seen the engine yet.

Also, what turbo works good with ZR800?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The different stator is part of the problem. The bigger issue is that the EFI stator/flywheel will not fit in the crankcase of the carbureted motor. They are different.

As for the fueling, you can get a Boondocker box for the 800, and it may have enough range. I believe I've seen 975 big bores using the 800 electronics.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Thanx.

I already have the EFI stator and magneto. I have all the stuff exept air temperature sensor.

I was afraid there is issue with fitting - just as Idcatman3 confirmed :( Maybe the case can be modified to accpt the bigger magneto?

Does anybody know if the magneto cone is smaller in carbed engine crankshaft? If so maybe I can make an adapter to fit EFI magneto to carb crankshaft? If the cones are the same size, it would be even better - just need to do make new groove to magneto for the key (if they are different size/place)?

I'm receiving the engine today so I can compare the magnetos :)

What other issues there will be? And what turbo would be nice for treeriding pump gas? I want quick and smooth operanding, not too much max power. Garret 2860?

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The cranks are different as well. The carb crank end is smaller.
The timing sensor mount is different. I think you'd be better off trying to find a good used EFI bottom end than modifying the carb one.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Checked yesterday the engine and both magnetos. Difference in diameter is HUGE, about 2cm. Also the case is so small there's no room for efi magneto as idcatman3 said.

EFI bottom end would be nice way to go. Bad thing is the big twin is very rare here in Finland :( I'll need to think over what to do.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I have an EFI crankcase I would sell for a reasonable price but getting it to Finland is expensive. I shipped a complete engine to Norway last year and the shipping alone was over $800 US.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Yes, the shipping prize is out of control specially if Fedex, UPS or some other courier Company s used. Usually USPS is the cheapest way but theres some limitation for packet size/weight. Bigger items may need to split into serveral packets.

Yesterday I ordered cylinder from ebay. After receiving it (hopefully it will come this year) the engine can be assembled. Seems the EFI conversion is very hard so I need to consider other ways. I'd still like to try the turbo way :) Here's two ways I've been thinking:

1. EFI conversion without changing the magneto/stator. Carb has 210w light coil so if I replace the lights with leds I can save some power for fuel and oil pumps. I tought I'd put small battery which feeds all the electronics and the light coil just charges the battery. Bad thing is carb stator has only one ingition coil and EFI stator has two. So carb ignition coil can't plugged into EFI ECU directly.

2. Turbo the carbed version. Bad thing is I really hate carbs :) They are last century relics which should be forget... I really like EFI tuning with some box etc. Clean and easy. OK, got my point, but this is still an option. Bad thing is I don't have any experience of turboing carbs. How you add boost fuel with them?

And last one:
Is stock oil pump good enough to be used as a turbo oiler? This would save some power too.

Made rough calculation of watts for case 1:
+ 210W light coil
- Oil pump 20W
- Fuel pump 40W
- Hand warmers 50W (in Finland you really need these :) )
- Head light 55W (yeah, this is needed also here. Led would save a lot, this is stock H4)
- Other lights 5W (leds)
Total 170W/210W

ECU power consumption is not known as well as boost fueler box. How much these two can be? 20W?

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Might be easier just to fly over here, play in the mountains for a week and fly home with a new crankcase in your luggage!

Premium Features