• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 rmk pro 850 throttle hesitation

D
Feb 9, 2022
Colorado
Last weekend on day 3 of sledding my 2021 rmk pro 850 with 450 miles started acting up. when blipping the throttle it will hesitate and sometimes die as if you hit the kill switch. really tough on technical riding. it started after i rolled it over to get unstuck. i thought it was snow in the throttle body. i cleaned it out with no fix. i changed the plugs with no fix. i unplugged the safety switch and it ran really bad. no fix.. i gave up, went to the trail and rode about 7 miles and it cleared up and ran great untill later in the day it did it again. the sled idles perfect. it seams to happen the most when full throttle under load, let off, then hit it again it will hesitate and sometimes die. not sure what to do because it mostly runs good. any suggestions? o yea, one more scenario, i was in the middle of a full load hill climb when the hesitation hit and then resumed, i almost ate the bars but the sled took off again just before i did. hmmm...?

U
Nov 29, 2007
My 2021 has been doing the same thing the last couple rides only seems to do it after a break for less than a minute then it is good

I thought it was the tss so I bypassed that never fixed it

After the last ride I checked and put dielectric grease on all electrical connections

I swap the position of the 2 relays in the fuse box incase the power valve one was flakey

I check for free movement of the power valves and watched the pv motor cycle like it should on start up

I noticed that the belly pan infront of the clutch is not sealed up to good I wonder if it is getting snow on the drive clutch and slipping the belt? I am going to seal that up

Also where the wires go into the kill switch don’t seal very well to the housing I am going to seal that up also.

U
Feb 1, 2013
Do you have a tether? I had an old style tether plunger type not the magnetic type. It was on a PRO I used to have. Same thing intermittent issues. Took me a while to figure it out. Actually have had this on more then one sled/brand.
They both started acting up out of nowhere. The second one on the Kitty Cat just died out of nowhere on the way down one time. It was like someone hit the kill switch then it wouldn’t start. Finally got it going again and it did it again.
The one on the old PRO was more like you described. Burbles and cut outs before it finally just started cutting out and dying and not starting again.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The red-capped tether available from a number of sources (I think I got mine from SLP) is pure garbage. It'll work ok for up to a season (often a lot less), then the cap gradually loosens, and just a little pull to the side from the tether may cause it to cut out (usually very intermittent). Wouldn't be so bad if you could just get a bag of caps for $10, but you have to buy individual cap and tether assemblies for $15-20; not worth throwing money at that. Can't say what you're seeing sounds just like that, but if you've got the same tether I had, throw that out first.

Premium Features