• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Polaris Pro 800 163 Hesitation/no power.

Hello! I'm new to the forum thing, I have a 2012 pro 800 163 that I bought in Feb 2021, I took it to McCall Idaho a couple days after buying it and it ran amazing no problems at all. Then I come back home in Washington, I load it up one morning to go riding maybe 4 days after getting back with no issues whatso ever. I get up to the snow park fires right up first pull warms up, I unload it no issues. I shut it off to finish getting ready to head out, I fire it up I start to head up the trail and then all of the sudden it like " falls on its face" has no power, super bad hesitation. It would hesitate at low RPMs then I would hit around 4700-5500 RPMs it would all of sudden get a huge burst of power and take off and then it would start to slow itself down and hesitate again with no power until I got the RPMs up to 5000 range it would take off again. I am clueless on what could be wrong, I already replaced the fuel filter, and nothing was wrong with the exhaust reeds. I'm very open to any suggestions! Thank you.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Bad spark plug, plug wire, spark plug boot. First things to check. When it is running bad check each side of the Y pipe to see which cylinder is cooler, that is the side to go checking.

M
Feb 26, 2018
My advice- check your electrical connections- actually pull them apart and check their condition. Check for loose wires, burnt connectors etc. But, I don’t think that’s your problem. I also would take out your exhaust valves and clean them, if they haven’t been out in a while they will be real dirty, but again, I do not think that is your problem. I think your problem is the tps (throttle position sensor). That damn sensor is known to cause many different problems!!! I had a 2010 800 that suddenly would not run once it got to operating temp. I had a parts sled so I traded all parts (fuel filter, reeds, wiring harness, everything) it wasent until I replaced the tps ( literally the last thing I could replace) that it ran right again. I then bought a 2014 Pro RMK with a “ sometimes would die, but start right back up” problem. Problem never really surfaced until I went on a trip. I died once but it was more of a problem that there was about a 1 to 2 second hesitation. I brought it home, cleaned the exhaust valves ( more as a needed service) but the hesitation was still there. So I purchased a new TPS, installed and adjusted. The hesitation and dieing went away immediately.

Premium Features