• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 RMK 900 159" & 151", clutching & gearing.

R
Feb 5, 2009
I have a 2005 Polaris RMK 900 159" track and also one that's 151" track. Both came from out west in the mountains and so assume they are setup for the mountains. Was wondering what clutching and gearing they should have for the mountains and then also for here in Iowa from 0-5,000 feet. This is what I have for clutches and so forth for them:

10-70 weights, 1 set
10-68 weights, 1 set
74 gram MTX weights, with weights in both holes, I think they are 78 gram
71 gram MTX weights, no weights installed yet but do have.

62-42-46 ER helix in driven clutch unknown spring color
64-38-36 ER helix have 3 total 2 in driven clutches unknown spring color
64-36-25 ER helix in driven clutch with red/black spring.

have 1 red/black secondary spring

Black/green springs. I think I am now down to 1 or 2 springs left. 1 broke last night and 1 broke today.

I want to get these clutches set-up correctly. I have been having a big RPM drop @ high rpms from 7000 and up and it will drop to 5900-6200. But when I had both springs break, then the sled would run like a raped ape, but still would have an rpm drop every now and then.

any help would be great.

R
Feb 5, 2009
If you punch the throttle all the way down it bogs down at high rpms. If you hold the throttle down it pulls about 7000rpms and then backs off to about 6000rpms and keeps bouncing between 6000-7000rpms and sounds like its almost smacking off of a rev limiter. Or it will stay steady at the 6000 rpm range until you let off the throttle and hit it again. It seems that anything over half throttle it just bogs, it makes a totally different tone when it does the bog too. If you slowly ease on the throttle you can get it to hold 7000rpms and get the sled up to about 75-80mph but once you go over half throttle then it just falls on its face. But its not every time that you ease into the throttle it will run good. The only code I get from time to time is 5 flashes. Sled starts fine and idles fine.
I have changed the following:
new fuel pump & filter
new intake boots,
put stock muffler back on
adjusted TPS .93 volts
changed TPS
checked exhaust valves
changed clutching around, seems that when I had the 2 primary springs break on me was when the sled seemed to run a lot better but would still act up but not as bad.

Any suggestins?

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
When I purchased my sled it came with 19-43 gears. I rebuilt the secondary with Slp red/pink spring and 64-44-46 helix. Currently running 10-70 weights with a Slp blue/pink spring in the primary. Elevation is 6-9000 ft for most of my riding. I have a 159x2" track and it works well when we get our typical heavy wet snow in the Sierras.

Premium Features