• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Summit 600 or RMK?

G
Oct 25, 2012
You guys must get these "which sled" posts all the time so I apologize in advance, but searching has not let me to any direct pro-con comparison.

Looking for a cheap mtn sled for ski access in the central colorado rockies. I've had a polaris 93 xlt for the last 8 years and it has worked well for my purposes, but it has some issues and it is time to upgrade. The main purpose is simply ski access which involves fairly flat roads, and occasionally tandoming. While a big sled with a really long track would be nice, a 600/700 with a 144" will suite me fine, only mod I plan to do is riser bars and ski racks. Roosting around will obviously occur in addition to ski access on occasion.

Looking to spend <$1500

Main question is riding and durability of the following three sleds:

1. 2002 Summit 600 144" 2000 miles comes with high lift jack -$1300
2. 2002 RMK 700 144" 3600 miles $1500, riser bars installed
3. 1998 RMK 700 136" 4100 miles $1100, riser bars installed

Leaning toward the summit with fewer miles and the jack, but I looked at it last night and it starts fine, runs high rpm's then dies before idling. Only got used once last winter which I suspect is the issue. Guessing I can clean carbs and maybe replace fuel filter and be ready to go.

Thoughts? Many thanks

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
The summit would probably treat you just fine, just be sure you check the intake boots between the carbs and main block. I had a 02 700 summit and they were cracked all the way through, so i ended up replacing them with a set from boysen, never had to worry about cracking again. I sold this sled to a buddy who does absolutely no maintenance what so ever and it still runs great. You wouldn't go wrong with it, thats for sure.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The '98 RMK isn't going to be much different than your XLT chassis/handling wise.
Lower miles is usually better, but the Pol 600-700 engines have way more than 3600mi of life in them assuming it's been well maintained.
Figure the hi lift jack is worth over $200 if you were going to buy one or maybe $100-150 if you sold it.
Not much experience with the ZX Doo personally, but a buddy ahs a 700 Summit ZX that has been a great sled for him. Was his, then passed down to wife, now kids'/bacup sled. Not sure of the miles, but they're not low (4k? maybe) and it always runs well.

Like mentioned in most of these threads, look for the best maint/condition machine and the one you have the best "feel" for before looking at the odometer (sometimes odometers "lie" if you know what I mean!).
By best feel for the sled, pick one where the owner is more forthcoming about info with the sled, try to find a guy who knows his way around evry nut/bolt on the machine. That typically tells me he spent some good time keeping the sled maintianed and in good order.

T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
From my experience ,if you want to go through some bigger new snow falls the 2002 rmk will be by far the best choice . The rest will get stuck in your trax.
But make sure you do all the simple mech checks on any you consider buying.

Premium Features