• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 RMK 800 popping and backfiring

I just bought a 2001 rmk 800 the guy said that the crank and bearings were just redone less than a 100km ago also the mag side jug and piston
I took it out for a little ride ice fishing ran fine all day not really running it hard then end of the day started to sputter and pop running on only the mag side cylinder tryed diferent plugs no change.
Can anyone give me a direction to start looking
Thanks Steve

J
Dec 3, 2010
Clarkston, wa
Same thing was happing to my friends 02 Polaris rmk 800 and he put a compression tester on it and with no avail. Had no comp in in one cylinder and took the head off and melted down the piston and scared the wall so bad it cracked the piston.

brushfit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
Boise,Idaho
Same thing was happing to my friends 02 Polaris rmk 800 and he put a compression tester on it and with no avail. Had no comp in in one cylinder and took the head off and melted down the piston and scared the wall so bad it cracked the piston.

Boy that would be scary!!! I had some trouble with my 700 missfiring on a cyl pretty regular especially at idle...I clipped my plug wires back about 1/2 inch and voila no miss...sometimes you get lucky...I like to check out the simple stuff first.. BTW it always pays to do a compression check first...can eliminate alot of parts changin for nuttin

Last edited:
Premium Features