• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 mountain cat 800 gearing

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
I Broke my chain and gears last season. I know the cats are notorious for this. I planned on changing it anyway. I am a light rider, 160 lbs. I want to regear it for when I go mountain riding. I have read a lot of people saying go to a 15 wide chain and 20/43 gearing any opinions. Also let me know of any other mods that are recommended.
Thanks

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have the stock gearing set 20 39 & chain 13 wide. I changed to 19 43 the second year I owned the 800. Went with a 10 tooth driver and had to go to 19 43 to maintain the same ratio.

B
Mar 20, 2013
I have had a few 01 800's. If your running stock driver size I would run a 19-42 and pay for the hivo!! 15 wides still break and leave less room inside which accelerates jam up and leaves you with a split case. Also , if you don't already know. Check the splines on the driveshaft- where the bottom gear slips on they have a tendency to twist the splines off the end of the shaft and eventually leave the bottom gear hanging in the chain. What are ya runnin for a helix on that?

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
I have had a few 01 800's. If your running stock driver size I would run a 19-42 and pay for the hivo!! 15 wides still break and leave less room inside which accelerates jam up and leaves you with a split case. Also , if you don't already know. Check the splines on the driveshaft- where the bottom gear slips on they have a tendency to twist the splines off the end of the shaft and eventually leave the bottom gear hanging in the chain. What are ya runnin for a helix on that?

I cant look at the sled now but im pretty sure my helix was 51/53. planning on changing it up this year. probly going to get a speedwerx clutch kit.

Premium Features