• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 Starting Problem

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
Just wondered if anyone is having any problems with cold starts. About 3 weeks ago my 09 M8 SnoPro began to have trouble getting it started the first time of the day. Had to pull a dozen times before it lit off. For the rest of the day, no problem, fired on first pull. But the next day, first start, same thing.

Sled has 500+ miles and just started this. Previously started on first or second pull like it should. Dealer blamed my Lefty, (pin too tight on flipper) but why did it wait for 500 miles to pinch? Bogus analysis in my opinion.(loosend pin).
Last Sat at Big Sky it took an hour (at 0 degrees) to get it started. Pulled with throttle closed, cracked and open. Zilch. A shot of ether and several pulls it would bang once and thats it. Plugs looked good, pretty dry the first check and wet the second. Finally concluded it was flooded so held throttle WFO and about the 8th pull it tried to fire, couple more pulls and it started. Didnt think they were supposed to flood. No probs the rest of day.
If anyone has had this problem,please respond.
Dealer is faked out but is presently checking it out.
Fuzz

S
Mar 18, 2008
Hard start cold

I have a 08 m8 that did this and found it had a bad ignition trigger coil. once replaced it starts on one pull easily.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Just wondered if anyone is having any problems with cold starts. About 3 weeks ago my 09 M8 SnoPro began to have trouble getting it started the first time of the day. Had to pull a dozen times before it lit off. For the rest of the day, no problem, fired on first pull. But the next day, first start, same thing.

Sled has 500+ miles and just started this. Previously started on first or second pull like it should. Dealer blamed my Lefty, (pin too tight on flipper) but why did it wait for 500 miles to pinch? Bogus analysis in my opinion.(loosend pin).
Last Sat at Big Sky it took an hour (at 0 degrees) to get it started. Pulled with throttle closed, cracked and open. Zilch. A shot of ether and several pulls it would bang once and thats it. Plugs looked good, pretty dry the first check and wet the second. Finally concluded it was flooded so held throttle WFO and about the 8th pull it tried to fire, couple more pulls and it started. Didnt think they were supposed to flood. No probs the rest of day.
If anyone has had this problem,please respond.
Dealer is faked out but is presently checking it out.
Fuzz

faulty injector/wiring...

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
My 05 king EFI would do the same thing every once and a while, i would take off the air box and get it running with a squirt bottle of fuel and once the motor would get warm it would take off.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Had a problem last ride out. I was riding in some real deep powder and about half way through the day I stopped to chat with some guys. When to start it, took like 20 pulls.

Dealer claims the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) located in the throttle lever block was likley to blame. Snow gets inside the housing and melts with the warmers on then frezes to ice. He suggested flopping the throttle a few times after parking it.

Kind of irritating

T
Oct 14, 2008
Buhl idaho
Had a problem last ride out. I was riding in some real deep powder and about half way through the day I stopped to chat with some guys. When to start it, took like 20 pulls.

Dealer claims the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) located in the throttle lever block was likley to blame. Snow gets inside the housing and melts with the warmers on then frezes to ice. He suggested flopping the throttle a few times after parking it.

Kind of irritating

i had the same thing happen to me. could even smell gas coming out exhaust, then all a sudden it started like normal.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Starting issues

Starting issues

Water in ECU plugs.Back fires or pops when pulling over. Pull ecu plugs make sure they are dry and Dielectric grease connections.

Fuel pump. No fuel some times ice gets in pump hook batter to connectors and run backward then froward.

over heated and lean usually a turbo issue but have seen it on stock sleds. Pull water temp plug and it will choke sled.

Last is I have head of injectors error. Try hooking 9V battery to injector and it will open and put fuel in cylinder

These are not normal issues but ones I have seen or heard of. The first one happened to me over the weekend.

Hope this will help

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I just got a 09 M8 SP and there is only two things I don't like about it.
1st. The seat...Just put a BOSS on it...problem solved.

2nd. I have to pull it over three, four, some times five or six times to get it started. This goes on all day long. Never had a Cat EFI do this?

A
Feb 17, 2008
Chugiak, AK
I had a few esipodes of the same thing with 07 M8. The problem with mine was a frozen fuel pump. I think what was happening was when I got home from riding I took the sled out of the trailer and put it in the warm garage. Water condensed in the nearly empty fuel tank. The next time I went to ride, I was sucking a little water, and when I would turn the the sled off, the small amount of water would freeze the fuel pump. Very easy to identify. Pull the fuel line off the fuel rail and pull the rope. It should squirt fuel all over.
Now, when I put the sled in the garage, I always have a full gas tank and I add a little iso-propanol. Never had the problem again.

Of course it could be other things that have been mentioned. Injectors, injector wires, plug wires, ecu, tps, ect,ect.

Ironically, this "fix' costs NOTHING!

Premium Features