• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 intermittently wont restart

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Had this wonderful feature intermittently since about 125 miles.

After riding for awhile I would stop to take a break, dig someone out or myself and the sled would sit for around 15 minutes and hot soak.

Go to start it, 5 pulls, nothing 10, 15.……..eventually it starts. The first time it did it I was in powder over its head. This time (s) in set up snow. Temps from 20ish to high 30s.

After the first time the dealer thought the throttle cable was to tight. Took it back he looked at it and thought it was fine. Apparently there has been some problems with powder getting into the Throttle Position Switch in the throttle block. The snow would melt freeze and hold the switch so the machine wont start. I am having a hard time following this logic given you cant duplicate the condition by manually holding the switch one way or the other, as it always starts……………

After the 3-4 time he’s going to keep it for awhile.

I cant begin to explain how thrilled I am……………

Anyone ?

J
Nov 26, 2007
try adding a little throttle, i know it's efi and shouldn't need to but, i pulled a hundred times once and cracked the throttle once and bang....shoulda done it sooner:rolleyes:

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
try adding a little throttle, i know it's efi and shouldn't need to but, i pulled a hundred times once and cracked the throttle once and bang....shoulda done it sooner:rolleyes:

That was recomended by the the dealer, I tried it the first time it happened......... Really didnt seem to make much differance.

Since I have tried it somewhere between pull 5-15 :mad:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Check fuel pump. You need to be between 45-47 lbs. I have seen fuel pumps going bad and acting like this.

clharris

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
mantorville mn
my m-1000 has done the same thing ,the last thing I tried was holding wide open & not doing anything for a few minutes give it a pull or two & it would start right up

Oct 10, 2008
lewiston id
brothers 08 m1000 does same thing. pulls and starts fine all day then out of the blue it wont start unless you put throttle to the bar. does at beginning of day also. dealer keeps saying might be this or that but wont change anything even tho still has warranty.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
My '07 M8 does the same thing. I found that if I pin the throttle and then pull it over, it starts on the first pull. Two others in our group on our last trip had the same problem and the same trick worked for them too.

Boone

D
Sep 17, 2008
so. king co.
wont start?

09 m8, 150 miles..same thing ran fine..went to dig out some ski dont's..came back, fired a bit..then died..pulled again..and nothing...like the off button was off...10 pulls, nothing..cracked the throttle and bam..started fine..no more problems..i guess keep an eye on it..tough to think about when you are way down in a ravine!

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
09 m8, 150 miles..same thing ran fine..went to dig out some ski dont's..came back, fired a bit..then died..pulled again..and nothing...like the off button was off...10 pulls, nothing..cracked the throttle and bam..started fine..no more problems..i guess keep an eye on it..tough to think about when you are way down in a ravine!

For me its just as much a relliabillity issue as it is fustrating. Being miles from anything changes the game

F
Jan 3, 2008
You might try talking to Shane at Twisted Turbo they put some sort of switch on that resets the engine temperature sensor because the problem is more prevalent when running a turbo and shutting it down hot. Not sure if this is the same problem or not but apparently it is pretty common with turbos. I think Shane's Snowest user name is "producttester".

E f i problems

My experience with efi motors is if you shut them down without waiting for the engine stablizes it self, they will flood them selves. Reason for this is when you shut down the engine only the spark is inoperative. When the engine is turning it is still pumping fuel to cylinders. All of the electrical is still operating. It used to say in some of the older owners manuals was to let engine idlee for about five seconds before shutting them off. Just recently I had a kid that was riding with us tried to start his with the kill button in the off position and flooded it very badly. Just try this out.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
My experience with efi motors is if you shut them down without waiting for the engine stablizes it self, they will flood them selves. Reason for this is when you shut down the engine only the spark is inoperative. When the engine is turning it is still pumping fuel to cylinders. All of the electrical is still operating. It used to say in some of the older owners manuals was to let engine idlee for about five seconds before shutting them off. Just recently I had a kid that was riding with us tried to start his with the kill button in the off position and flooded it very badly. Just try this out.

Allright, advise well taken.............

Too me it dosent seem like theres a major problem as eventually it always starts. I just dont want to find the time it dosent :(

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Problem Fixed..............

Turns out the Injectors were leaking down after it was shut off in turn flooding the motor. both injecters were replaced under warranty.

After riding the sled, they must have been bad from the get-go.............this thing pulls like it never has !

and it restarts !

Premium Features