• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 DD, oil on secondary

W

wired396

Feb 5, 2008
MN
Hi all. I have a 09 M8 with 600 miles on. Recently I have noticed excess oil on and around the secondary clutch. Upon removing the aluminum end cap from the clutch, I found some buildup of oil on the O-ring. The clutch retaining bolt had no oil on at the threads, which would lead me to believe the oil was not comming out the vent, the cut out threads on bolt. The only other place for the oil to come out, is... the input shaft seal. The seal looks fine while the unit is assembled. I drained the oil, it looks to be the right amount, but dark. This is my second DD sled. I have had ZERO DD issues with my other sled with 2900 miles. Anyway, the dealer wants me to bring it in and I do not have much time before we leave for a trip.

Has anyone else seen this seal leak? Could the inside, output seal be letting water in? Could the vent not be functioning?

Thanks.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
09 M1000. Had the same thing this weekend. Seal has failed. I did have quite a bit of oil on my retaining bolt threads though. 450 Miles.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey i had oil all the time around the clutches on my 07 M8 and couldn't figure out what it was same the shaft seal looked good, but after checking everything and replacing other stuff. It was the input shaft seal that i thought looked good, but as soon as i changed it no more oil around the clutches or anywhere:D:beer;

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I had that issue on my 08 m1000... Mine was seeping from the case halves.
They installed an update kit which uses a gasket instead of just sealer on the surfaces... No more problems.

Premium Features