• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m1000 problems

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Trying to get some ideas. Sled pops and backfires and lost spark then got spark back. Possible stator problems any other ideas. Trying to help a guy over the phone with this problem. Thanks

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Me and the sled owner care. If you don't care just move on. I am the shop owner trying to help a out of town rider with out a mechenic on duty on the weekend. Thanks for anyone willing to give us any ideas so maybe he can get out riding sooner.

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Me and the sled owner care. If you don't care just move on. I am the shop owner trying to help a out of town rider with out a mechenic on duty on the weekend. Thanks for anyone willing to give us any ideas so maybe he can get out riding sooner.

Touchy aren't we :eek::confused: lol.

You answered your own ?. Last thing done!!

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
m1000

Trying to get some ideas. Sled pops and backfires and lost spark then got spark back. Possible stator problems any other ideas. Trying to help a guy over the phone with this problem. Thanks

sounds like the coils wires got pinched when the tank was changed. also my 09 m1000 stator went out at 500 miles, no backfireing just no spark. 08 m1000 wiring harness went out and it would backfire and would just about rip your hand off.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Got the sled and it backfires bad when run on a stand. Has a y pipe 4' air horn and slp intake and a mbrp can. The 2 intake mods might be abit much but it sounds like timing to backfire like that.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
can't imagine changing the tank would make a diff in timing. when does it backfire, what rpm, throttle position ect.. Did it have any prob before the tank and why was the tank changed.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Tank had a stripped nut in it. very possibly a coincidence trouble started after changing tank and adding ypipe. Back fires at lower rpm 5000rpm. It is not the ecu or safty switch. I only ran sled on stand for 30 seconds and it backfired very loud twice. Going to check out all electical components tomorrow and hopefully find something not in specs.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
We added a boondocker box and added some fuel on the top end. We have put ypipes and intakes on our 07-08 m1000 with out adding fuel.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Short

If it did not do it before very good chance you did some thing when you changed gas tank. Did you un hook the ground on the right hand side. Could be the ground or something is grounding.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Thanks will check today. We are closed but going in to do some tests. Our tec is off work with injury and I am a rookie with electrical problems, so thanks for any guidance.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Hey, what do I know..........I'm a Yamaha guy but, don't these sleds have a TPS (Throttle Positon Sensor). It sure sounds like a TPS issue to me.

Have you moved the handlebars, throttle, cable routing, etc. Try moving the cable while the sled is running to find the sweet spot especially if you just added a bar riser.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Not sure, but in most cases if the exhaust can suck air from a small leak at a joint it can cause a backfire, although I havent seen it on a two stoke.
Is the bd box hooked up right, try disconnecting it just to see what it does. Make sure the powervalves are working properly, when the wiring gets messed with I've heard of a few weird things happening with the powervalves.

Premium Features