• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M8 stuck in limp mode-Help?

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
I was riding back to the cabin after our last ride for the weekend and I got a ecu code for servo motor failure and a exhaust valve code. It went into a limp mode and I nursed it into a bar while others went on to get the truck and trailer. I got it home and cleaned the exhaust valves and checked the cables for movement put everything back together per service manual. The code went away but it is still stuck in limp mode. It starts and runs fine and when I try to go it gets up to about 5500 rpm and starts stuttering like a rev limiter. I put new plugs in, it has the same gas everyone else fueled up with and the guage I believe shows red color. Took it to dealer and they plugged it in and can't find any codes and are supposed to be talking with arctic cat. It has been at the dealer for quite some time now and they are chasing their tail on it. Any Ideas? If I would have had the time I would have went through it myself but being new to cat I thought they could just fix it and i would be back on the snow. Thanks!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I had a servo go bad once and it did not throw a error code. I gave up on the dealer and when he left for lunch I plugged a new one in and worked great. The dealer only charged me $400 for the motor and all his knowledge. A bad TPS will make it start to miss and run poorly and not throw a code either.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey i had a broken power valve cable to once and i changed both out and everything was good, but when i took the cables ends off the servo motor i didn't know that they have to go back on in the same way(order) i had them opposite and it stayed in limp mode to. I couldn't figure it out had the dealer look at it and i watched they just switched the cable ends at the servo motor and BINGO. I don't know if that is your case but seems similar to mine.:beer;

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure if it was something simple they would have figured it out, my dealer has been in business for several years and have a real good track record for service. Do these things have a reverse rev limiter? I had a polaris atv that got stuck in reverse mode with a bad switch. I didn't notice one but I didn't go fast is reverse either when I loaded it on the trailer. TPS is very logical from what I can figure and the servo may still have an issue. I hope it is not an ecu, I looked up the price and dropped a load!

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
not related to exhaust stuff, but the throttle switch in the block will limit rpms to around 5500, but it sounds like it has been in a shop and usually that is caused from snow or ice

Premium Features