• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M1000 ignition coil problems

I have an issue with my M1000, it'll start good, than a minute or two later start to sputter, and not rev up, then pretty much die. I have a 1-2 check engine code flashing. How would I go about checking an ignition coil for a failure ? Ive been reading about the wiring harness under the seat. Could there be a wire bared off that would ground out a coil, and throw a code ?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Do you have a fuel control box like Boondocker or PCV that plugs into the ECU? If so, unplug and retry. If not, check all the wires and harness to the coils. Coil failure is rare on these. Check all plug caps for fit to spark plugs and look for rub through on spark plug wires.

Do you have a fuel control box like Boondocker or PCV that plugs into the ECU? If so, unplug and retry. If not, check all the wires and harness to the coils. Coil failure is rare on these. Check all plug caps for fit to spark plugs and look for rub through on spark plug wires.
No extra fuel controller. I did find some wires that have broken outer caseing on the one set of coils, recoil side. they might have been grounding out.

Premium Features