• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 800 Dragon WILL NOT RUN

D

Dragon8hundo

Nov 26, 2007
Hartley Iowa
has anybody ever seen a sled that will only run on one cylinder and then when you pull the cap off and hold the plug cap above the plug and get the spark to arc it hits on 2 until you put the cap back on it drops it again... we have switched coils, wires, caps, plugs, although we haven't put a new coil in but it doesn't matter it always drops the PTO side! Compression is 135 (cold) on both sides runs great when it gets warmed up sometimes
Polaris is stumped and so am i and the dealer! my dealer has been a great help but we are at a loss for solutions, and i leave in the morning for the hills !

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I had a some new spare plugs that had cracked the porceline and did the same thing.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
years ago I had a customers car do that....cant remember for sure..but try the ecm..it controls spark timimg...if I remember right that is what caused it on an injected car...

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
I believe adding the spark gap will actually make the spark hotter as it causes more of a power buildup in the coil as it fires. Can't recall the link, but read about it years ago. That doesn't mean you should run an engine like this though.

S

supersmith

Dec 2, 2007
We had a 08 700 rmk doing the same exact thing. Our conclusion was that it was something with the stator until we took the reeds out and found a chunk of plastic was fludding that side of the motor. Plug looked really good on one side and really wet on the other. Give it a look......you never know.

M

mtna_buzz

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
For a plug to fire it has to overcome the resistance between the elctrode and ground (the gap) created in the cylinder. Plugs that will spark in open air won't always spark in a cylinder (increased presssure, fuel mixture, etc)

That it works when you arc the cap indicates that the spark is arriving at the correct time - which should rule out the ecm - which controls the timing of the building and collapse of the field in the primary side of the coil that produces the spark in the secondary side.

For some reason, your PTO cylinder is experiencing higher resistance. As decribed in a previous post, arcing a plug like that is a good way to get a fouled plug to fire as it creates a hotter spark, which in your case is then able to overcome the resistance in the cylinder.

Some of the things that could cause higher resistance - impropper air fuel mixture, poor grounding of the body of the spark plug, bad plug or wires, or even impropperly gapped plugs. A coil would do the same, but you switched and the problem stayed on the pto side.

That it runs fine once it's warmed up -sometimes - I'd take another look at air/fuel and make sure all the electirical connections are good.

Good Luck!

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
Reflash

Mine was missing kind of like that . They have a new reflash on the 800 dragons it fixed mine . Before the tech looked at it I ask the service writer if there was any reflashes and he told me no . But there must have been because the tech done one on mine .

N
Nov 2, 2004
Michigan Flats
Sorry I cant really add anything to help your misery.
But-
Were you actually holding the spark plug wire with your hand letting it spark to the plug?
If so you are a brave man. That sh!t hurts.
I was smart enough once in my younger years to pull the cap off of a spark plug while the motor was running (to diagnose missing cylinder).
One hand on the head, one hooked to the spark plug wire.
It felt like I had sparks shooting out of my @ss.
Still shuddering from the flash backs.
I hope you get it figured out.

Mark

A
Nov 26, 2007
You can get a tool that will let you increase the gap that the coil see's. You can also see the spark when it fires. This could help you to make sure that the spark you are getting is hot enough.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Just curious...

Why isn't your Po dealer dealing with this for you? For $11K, he should be the one that is looking for solutions.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Don't know if you changed to VF3 reeds or not but if you had the upper injectors off for any reason it could be possible that the large green o-ring that seals the injector to the cylinder may have fallen out or possibly have been shoved into the injector hole. This could block the injector from adding fuel into the rear transfer port. It is almost easier to take the cylinder head off and look into the rear transfer port to see if it is blocked rather than removing the injectors. Grasping at straws, I know but if you are certain you have good spark and compression then it must be a fuel issue. Possibly even a bad injector. Swapping injectors could be another option. Maybe even a broken piston skirt- but that is unlikely. Hope you find the problem. Your dealer should be doing all of this- Polaris will foot the bill.

Premium Features