• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 700 Dragon Down

S

searafter35

Nov 27, 2007
Beavercreek, OR
Siezed up my 08 700 over the weekend and after digging into th top end found the Mag side cylinder broken off, th other skirt is cracked and ready to go. The piston looks ok but just wondering what usually caused teh cylinder skirts to break??

That being said, what are the best options for repair? The sled has 3200 on it. All the metal is down in the case so that also needs cleaned out. Looking for advice on what should be done, at a minimum, to the motor while its down.

Thanks,

SA

J
Dec 24, 2012
Well if I were you I would part it out. But if you want to rebuild I just did mine its the exact same sled and you can do it on a budget but it takes some internet shopping. First off I doubt your pistons are ok so if you cant determine that ask a mechanic to take a look. You will also need to pull the motor and inspect the inside and outside of your crank. If the crank is out get new bearings for it and have it trued. If the crankcase is cracked have it welded by a pro, make sure they know it cant get warped. Bring the crankcase to the guy that does the bearings and trues it and have them place the crank in the case immediately after the work is done. You can get a mono cyclinder, its both cylinders in one mold, if you cant afford that you can find some used ones on ebay maybe. I got a SPI top end kit for mine and its ok and fairly reasonable. It doesn't come with piston bearings so get the oem bearings from your dealer. Also get a full engine gasket/seal kit from somewhere. Also you need to download the service manual and get all the proper torque specs and it will help you with tear down and rebuild instructions. I will recommend that you send the crank case and crank to Steve at Parris Racing here in Belgrade Montana and have him work his magic it will cost around $800 bucks but well worth the extra power and engine longevity. Now inspect the clutches and replace all the bushings, rollers, pins, buttons, weights and springs. I would order slp clutch kits for your elevation. Inspect all the coolent and oil lines. Replace the fuel filter. Replace the voltage regulator. Check your tps sensor and make sure your oil pump is set correctly.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Mine just went down... 8800 miles.. mine had the Exhaust Valve stops wear far enough that the Valves kissed the piston... And on a Ported motor.. need re-nik on both now..

If you need it I do have a spare stock ported cylinder.. it has a little of the o-ring land smashed and can be repaired real easy..

Premium Features