• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 M8 won't clean out used Polaris oil

B
Jan 7, 2014
Ok so last run of last year I was running low on oil. So my buddy had some Polaris full synthetic. I dumped that in and mixed it with APV Arctic cat oil that was left in the oil bottle. A mile or two down the road it started boggin down and wouldn't clean out or rev over 5500 RPM's. So limped it back home. I didn't think much of it. Just some plugs and empty the oil bottle out and put new plugs in. Well I changed the oil last night and rode this morning with new plugs. Still wouldn't clean out. Changed plugs again and still won't clean out. I pulled out the power valves and cleaned them up with some wd40 and a razor blade with some scotch pad and put them back in while out on the trail today. Still same issue. It almost sounds like it's missing and not firing right. When I pulled the pipe off I noticed that the clutch side piston was full of oil. The oil was very grippy. It was greasy with metal to metal but got some on my finger and I felt like spider man. I could grip to anything. The question is... what did I do? I read some things online where people would run Polaris ves oil and they were fine... and what do I need to do. Spent a couple hours on the trail today trying to clean it out. It idles great. No problems. It will run and hold 5300 RPM's but not that well. Once I mash the throttle it doesn't feel like there is spark on one side. Need help

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
^^X2 I've mixed all different kinds of oil. In fact my new Cat came with APV oil ran it down to 1/4 in the oil tank and filled it with Mystik for todays run.

B
Jan 7, 2014
Ok thanks. I will order new power valve cables. When we were looking at stuff under the hood. Those seems pretty used and worn. I'm thinking to might be a possibility of a bad wire from unplugging them a couple times. Might of damaged one. What's the best way to test to make sure I'm getting spark.. put a plug in and and pull it to start to see if it sparks? Another question about that is like I said at idle it runs fine but when you wanna mash it it's cutting out and bogging. Kinda a poppy sound coming out the exhaust. At a low rpm does the sled only use on plug to run and when you hit a higher rpm then use both plugs on to ignite in a single jug or does it run on all the sparks all the time reguardless. We looked inside the cylinders and they were oily but no damage. Could my rings be messed some hole for letting it sit all summer before doing the work to it..

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
don't buy cables, unless you need cables. go out, pull on the cable ends, see if you can freely move them, or them pull out of the sheath. check both ends, on the pv itself, and the motor. then if you have an issue buy the cable. Ski

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Pretty common for the plug wires to wear though where they touch each other back there (lol, that came out kinda funny eh).

Look for that or just replace them.

B
Jan 7, 2014
K. Here is something weird. I don't know what this means. Yesterday, in the shop at 4400 feet the sled with start up and wrap out. Took it up to the parking lot at 8500 feet lifted the rear end up and tried the same thing and the sled with bog down and cut out. What does that mean when you have a change in elevation and you have it running likw that?

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I was going to say are you sure the clutch side cylinder is even firing, but your last post thru me off.

Sometimes sitting over summer an injector will stick so a cylinder, or both ends up not firing.

B
Jan 7, 2014
Here's some update and thoughts. The donut ring in between the exhaust manifold and main pipe is shot!!! Just picked up both donuts for exhaust. I was reading that its super important to have the right pressure sealed through exhaust in order to run right.. is that true?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
check the obvious stuff first
1 power valve cables ( make sure they move freely and are not broken)
2 replace spark plugs
3 remove boots from wires trim wire down reinstall boots
4 wire routing and bare wires
5 clutching issues (weights , springs ,belt etc.)
6 reseal pipe connections (you already know of this problem)
one reason for the sled to run well at low alt. and not at high is that the engine can overcome some of the above problems because it make a lot more power down low.
after these things have all been verified you need to check reeds and fuel system . good luck

B
Jan 7, 2014
Problem solved

Update.. took it up guardmans pass at about 8200 ft around 7:30 PM. Ran great. Have no issues. Sled started and warmed up for about 5-10 min. Got full RPM. Here's what we did.

I emptied the gas tank completely. Wiped down the inside of it. Put 5 gallons of premium. And a few ounces of seafoam cleaner.

Installled the new donuts rings in betweeen the pipe. Put the factory muffler back on. (I had a ****ty snostuff rumble pack, I want a MBRP but don't wanna spend the dough right now.

Everything cleaned out and no more wet cylinders or insides of Y pipe and pipe. They were soaked with oil before and they were brand new. Didn't even have 20 mins of riding on them. Plugs are clean and burning clean. The power valves were cleaned and unhooked them from the servo just to make sure there was no holdups. Thanks for all the help, it feels goooood to be back in business. I can't really pinpoint the issue but all in all. My sled got a little service and partial cleaning. :face-icon-small-hap

B
Jan 7, 2014
Snow was good. No base really but 3 ft and 4 ft in some places. Plus the storm that hit there yesterday. Should be good place to ride for today. Plus more snow is on the way this weekend. With wife and kids it makes it tough to go before Christmas cuz of all the jazz going on. I have the day off from work but wife wants family time:face-icon-small-fro

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
thanks i rode gaurdsmans pass for years but it is really getting tough to put up with the b/s up there . they are trying to shut that area down to sleds hence the extra stringent rules and law enforcement .

Premium Features