• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 M8 stalls when clutch engages?? Need a little help

A
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone else run into this issue.
My clutch is engaging at about 4,000 rpms(I thnk this is a little high), then the sled just dies like fuel gets cutoff or something. It first happened after pulling it off the trailer last night when I got home from riding. It warmed up for few minutes and I hopped on to pull it into the garage it would bog at about 4,200 rpms then die. I eventually got it to run long enough to get it inside but I went this through at least 20 times. I thought it was out of fuel, but it still has a few gallons.
I ran the sled pretty hard all day, over the hood snow and huge open meadows. It doesn't look like anything is melted.
On a side not I melted some black gooo out of the oil-tank sensor(sending unit??) last weekend and heat taped the hell out of it for this weekend.
Could I have toasted the thing and the sled is goin into fail-safe mode or something? I'm not getting and codes or anything.
Just looking for some insight.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Sounds like you Rode P-ville in deep dry powder all day and it ran fine. Put it on the trailer and then it acted up when you got home? If that is the case, you most likely just have moisture in your fuel system/throttle bodies and they are iced up now. Stick it in somewhere warm and I bet it will run fine after it thaws out. If so, make sure to put some iso-heet in your tank to help dry it back out.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Sounds like you Rode P-ville in deep dry powder all day and it ran fine. Put it on the trailer and then it acted up when you got home? If that is the case, you most likely just have moisture in your fuel system/throttle bodies and they are iced up now. Stick it in somewhere warm and I bet it will run fine after it thaws out. If so, make sure to put some iso-heet in your tank to help dry it back out.

if the above isn;t the problem check the wires along your injector rail for melted areas

A
Jan 16, 2008

Hit the nail on the head. P-ville was a good time. That makes sense, its been sittin in the garage since and i haven't tried to start it or anything, thought i would let it dry out. I'll get soem fresh fuel and soem heat adn give it a try tonight. Thanks for your help!

I'll check my wiring too. I put the '08 heat shield on in the beginning of the year so maybe soemthing is going on under there.

Thanks for the replies.

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
check for ice where the throttle pivots on the handle bar. There is a safety device which cuts the ignition if it senses the thottle cable has frozen. It has happened to me twice now. Does it idle fine and then bog badly when you try and move it? Turn your grip heaters on high and use a knife to get the ice out from around the throttle flipper.

A
Jan 16, 2008
check for ice where the throttle pivots on the handle bar. There is a safety device which cuts the ignition if it senses the thottle cable has frozen. It has happened to me twice now. Does it idle fine and then bog badly when you try and move it? Turn your grip heaters on high and use a knife to get the ice out from around the throttle flipper.

Thanks for the info. That could be what happend. I trailered it home for 2 hours after riding in deep dry snow. put it on the trailer hot, take it off the trailer frozen. i have had it in my garage since, it fired right up last night and ran fine on the stand.
Good to know, thanks for all the insight.

Premium Features