• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 600 HO convert to 07 700 CFI

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
I have an 07 600 HO carb 155. Happy, but want a bit more power.

Found an 07 700 CFI motor for about 1700. If I could buy this motor, sell my 600 for $1200 or so, I'd have a 700 for about $1000 investment, right?

What would be involved in switching from my carbed 600 to this injected 700? The motor includes:

short block plus the following:
exhaust valves
reeds
intake boot for throttle body
water pump assembly
oil pump assembly
internal ignition, (stator and flywheel)
motor mount straps

I know I'd need the throttle bodies, but what else would I need to complete the swap? I assume I'd need a new CDI?

Is this even worth doing? Assuming I could sell my 600 motor for about 1200?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to do all the work myself to learn, and to save money. Got the whole summer to do it. Thanks guys.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
also need a fuel tank/cell and pump assembly from an efi..wiring harness..yes cdi..when you add it all up it's very expensive..efi fuel rails are pretty pricey too!

I think a better route is to spend $2000 (that amount should be complete and cover everything you'll need) on a Carl's Cycle 660 big bore for your existing sled's engine...it will KILL a stocker 700 efi all day every day...properly applicated the Carl's 660 will act like the best running stock or single pipe pump gas semi improved 800cc small block that you've ever ridden.

The cranks in the 600 were excellent and long long lasting so with a big bore your other consumable major parts and cost is pistons and they will be new. You should get several trouble free high performance seasons on a 660 with your bottom end.

Or you can do some simple improved mods to your 600 stock bore and get more out of it. I think you'll find a stock 700 efi runs almost exactly the same as the carbed (obviously must be in a peak state of tune) 600 in a like chassis. The EFI only makes sense if you are going really big or turbo.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
I see...

Thanks F-Bomb. I was considering that option too, sounds like a better way to go. My 600 isn't stock, but it isn't highly modified either. Just the usuall stuff:

SLP Pipe, SLP can, SLP Air Horn, flowrites, some gearing changes and clutching changes. It rips pretty hard right now, but I need a bit more grunt. Sounds like the 660 might be the way to go. Is that what you run?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have an 07 600 HO carb 155. Happy, but want a bit more power.

Found an 07 700 CFI motor for about 1700. If I could buy this motor, sell my 600 for $1200 or so, I'd have a 700 for about $1000 investment, right?

What would be involved in switching from my carbed 600 to this injected 700? The motor includes:

short block plus the following:
exhaust valves
reeds
intake boot for throttle body
water pump assembly
oil pump assembly
internal ignition, (stator and flywheel)
motor mount straps

I know I'd need the throttle bodies, but what else would I need to complete the swap? I assume I'd need a new CDI?

Is this even worth doing? Assuming I could sell my 600 motor for about 1200?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to do all the work myself to learn, and to save money. Got the whole summer to do it. Thanks guys.

Perhaps you could obtain the wire harness (and fuel pump assembly) from a crashed 700 @ sled salvage yard?????

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Kinda pricey....

ECU, wiring harness, Primary clutch, injectors, PFA (pump/flange assy) injector rail and hoses, Clutch guard, Regulator, capicitor, ECU cover assy...Plus all the little stuff that happens on a custom install (new clutching, gearing etc).

You could "make" your 600 tank work, but it would be a lot of work...

IMO... sell your sled... get a holdover 2009 700 or 800 (or a tricked out used one) and have fun... you will be into it for about the same money or maybe less.

The 660's are great motors... F-Bomb had one for some time and took the time to tune it well... I doubt he would trade his new, stock bore 800 for ole Blackie though. You just cant beat the longer stroke... The 860 kit for the 600 on the other hand would absolutely rip....

RMK RACER on the forum here is selling a fully tricked out 2008, SLP race prepped, twin piped 800 with holz front, Fox Evol X's and full carls "massaged" rear skid with lots of other extras for $6500 in Eastern Nevada.... 180 hp, CFi would put some pep in your giddyup!!

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Sounds like you are on the right track..while you learn the ropes you might as well end up with some performance!

Eric,
Some days and certain conditions the 144 660 is way more fun to ride and it is 30 less HP and has a suspension that isn't even close to the 800. It's cool to have both on most rides. I've often wished I had the mulla for an exact copy of my 800 but with a cut down and screwed 144 for my other sled of the day. I'm going to ride an EFI 660 this weekend beside my 800 and see what they feel like. That could be another combo for the shorter track free rider fun sled that would be powerful, fun, and sounds like more reliable then the 800. Also if you have an 09 600 base pretty reasonable pricewise. Carl's has done some for elite customers that are supposed to be real standouts.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You just cant beat the longer stroke...

What I meant to say was that for the "grunt" you are looking for .... a longer stroke would give you that.

Rob,
It's great how Jack never plays his aces in front of the peanut gallery

Keep your eyes open when you throw your leg over Jacks turbo this weekend.

660 efi race twins on 112 .... 141 power claw 90 duro, Holz normal width front end.... a set of the 2010 non "R" evols on the front (dialed in of course), light hood, light everthing..... Alpha X for the rear if Mark sorts it out (someone please get Mark an Assault to verify the Alpha install !!!!) ... 425 lb sled.....

Now that would be super fun!!

I was chattin it up with some engineer types 'bout the motors... the longer stroke motors have more gyro effect on the sleds handling... not just the weight of the sled... The new M8's have much less crank mass and the sleds are noticeable in the way they handle compared to the '09's... go figure. More vibes though.

I've been on nearly identical 2008 RAW chassis sleds, same track, same chassis... one was a 600 RMK the other a custom 900 RMK... the 900, with better suspension and some other goodies, is actually about 15 lbs lighter than the 600 ... the 600 was noticeably more nimble in the tight stuff. Radical difference in stroke of the sled 80mm compared to 64mm of the 600.

I've often wished I had the mulla for an exact copy...........

C'mon Rob... I hear you roll large in Boise .... a barn full of disposable sleds to huck, Hedlund-Rasmussen-Sessions on speed-dial, ..... 60" plasma and leather clad walls in the enclosed... hot coeds feeding you grapes while talking on the Iridum to your contacts in the Moscow syndicate.... Sunoco dropping off free 55 gal drums of 112 in the driveway every morning like the newspaper...That's how its done people...that's how its done!!

R

rstibi

Dec 12, 2007
I blew my 08 700 up and am looking for a motor. If it is available I would appreicate you letting me know. Thanks Ray 307-399-0602

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
SLP or Carls?

Now you guys have me convinced on the 660 kit. But which one? Anybody have experience with both the SLP and Carls? I already have the SLP Single Pipe, SLP High Flow intake, and SLP Can. Would it make more sense to go with the SLP kit in this case or does it matter? I don't want to change the pipe.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
not the same pipe from stock to the kit I'm told, I have a used SLP 727 whole kit; pipe and can , pistons and everything even have a case with it with the water pump seal installed , you need gaskets , crank and rewind and mag. It's in mint condition, guarenteed. it only works at above 3000 ft thou that's why I took it out, I'm at 1000 and I'm doing a turbo this summer so the sled needs sold. Sell kit for $1500.00 and it will definatley put a smile on you and a frown on your buddies. Carls 660 is only better cause it can be run anywhere,, this set up was around 3500.00 new has about 1500 miles on

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Sounds like you are on the right track..while you learn the ropes you might as well end up with some performance!

Eric,
Some days and certain conditions the 144 660 is way more fun to ride and it is 30 less HP and has a suspension that isn't even close to the 800. It's cool to have both on most rides. I've often wished I had the mulla for an exact copy of my 800 but with a cut down and screwed 144 for my other sled of the day. I'm going to ride an EFI 660 this weekend beside my 800 and see what they feel like. That could be another combo for the shorter track free rider fun sled that would be powerful, fun, and sounds like more reliable then the 800. Also if you have an 09 600 base pretty reasonable pricewise. Carl's has done some for elite customers that are supposed to be real standouts.

F-Bomb...

How does the 660 compare to the 685's???

R

rayone

Feb 27, 2009
Michigan
660 kit

Personally I would do Carlys 660 kit over SLP just my opinion. I thought about doing the same finding a 700 motor, but to much money. I have decided to do carls kit within the next month or two.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I'm with you on that because of the altitude thing but as far as realiabilty and performance the 727 is just awsome, With Carls I always have such a hard time getting to talk to someone and they don't answer their e-mails very often but their stuff is unbeatable in the rite hands, SLP is easy to get to but their clutching was way off but hey with a performance mod I expect some clutching changes it's just that if you can't run it at home who wants to mess with it during a trip, but I have it figured out and loved it.

B
Dec 21, 2007

I have the Carls 660. I only have a few months on it but it ran great. I still have a few things to do to make ir complete like bore the carbs and v-force reeds. I will kill my 03 escape mod with pipes and other goodies. I havent compared it to any new 700 or 800's but they claim they will beat them. After I finish everything we will find out.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Ok so been toying with this 660 idea for a while now, just wondering what is all involved. I see the price is $1395 on their website. How much extra is the carb boring, and they say they recommend their 660 single pipe, will my SLP single do the same thing? Also, I'm guessing this does not cover clutching, and I ride a lot of elevations, what style weights does he use? I have the heel-clicker right now and works well, add a few washers to the base and no need for extra weights(didn't want to buy 3 sets of weights haha, ride 0-2k here in ND, 2-6 in SD, and 7-10k in West Yellowstone).

Just wondering what the ACTUAL cost of this kit in full, thanks.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Carb bore is about $275ish for a complete dis and reassembly after the machining. (if you have ever attempted to take a set of these apart you know that is the best deal on earth!:D) The prices are in kit form because some guys do their own work and others have different expectations of performance and expenditure. $2000 does a pretty good job as a complete package plus labor.

It has been my experience that your best results are from doing exactly what Carl's recommends top to bottom and without variation. Like I've stated before we had at least 20 Carl's big bore setups that all were put on the snow in the exact complete kit and ran as recommended with each and every single sled being a reliable and high performance standout (season after season). My personal sled (the 660 IQ RAW...the Edge 660 is exactly to Carl's specs except the hood to airbox design) is the only one that had any variance at all but I spent lots of time money and energy making it right. Not here to say that these other pieces and parts (pipes clutching ect) may not be capable of performing but you had better be prepared for hundreds of hours of test and tune plus be able to throw more money at it if things don't work out. For example, I also have two other buddies with 660/685 kits one was a Carl's kit that the owner worked his own concepts into and the other was a duplicate. One runs like complete crap more then half the time (and has now for years..and even on it's best day was so wanting of my 660's that it didn't even seem like the same kit) and the other is on the shelf in parts lasting under 500 miles.

The lesson here is do what they say and do it completely and exactly and radically increase your chances of hapiness.

Premium Features