• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 RMK 900 Boards?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ok I'm looking for a summer project and figured this would be a good project to start with. I hate when my boards fill up with snow. It seems if it's colder out and the snow stays to powder the boards will melt them and not fill up. But if it's warm and more of the "slush snow" gets in there I'm always chopping slush out. Does anyone have any pictures and links on where to get some boards that wont fill up. And also what is all needed to put the boards in. I know I saw a thread on this already and did a search but I can't find it.
Thanks.

T
Jan 19, 2009
Newport, WA
I have a set of SnoFree Sled Boards they are made by castle quest ent. the web site is www.castlequestent.com. He is new but makes a great product, I know he has a few different designs for most of the models of sleds. If you dont see what you are looking for he can probably fab something up for you. I know he is competative with the other manufacturers, and I think a little cheaper in $$$$.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok I'm looking for a summer project and figured this would be a good project to start with. I hate when my boards fill up with snow. It seems if it's colder out and the snow stays to powder the boards will melt them and not fill up. But if it's warm and more of the "slush snow" gets in there I'm always chopping slush out. Does anyone have any pictures and links on where to get some boards that wont fill up. And also what is all needed to put the boards in. I know I saw a thread on this already and did a search but I can't find it.
Thanks.

I use F-Bomb Better Boards. And agree the anodized model tends to shed ice / snow better

I think any board is an improvement over the non ice/snow shedding stock footwell / running board.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I'm a big fan of the Better Boards... the powdercoated ones keep ice from building up.

Solid design...great customer service and they plain work....

I think MH hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!! X2...

My wife just got a new sled. That will be the first upgrade.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I would go with Better Boards. I installed them halfway through the season and wished I had them from day one. The snow seems to build up just a little on the piece behind the tunnel support but not at all where you actually stand. Plus if you polish your tunnel the black better board reflects very nicely. :D

polished006.jpg

polished008.jpg

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Love the tunnel! How'd you polish it? I might want to do that this summer if it's not too bad!

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
Love the tunnel! How'd you polish it? I might want to do that this summer if it's not too bad!

I chose to do it by hand. I didn't want to use a power ball or buffer because I was nervous of getting it a little better and not being able to get in every little area and having it look un even. I used microfiber towels and Busch aluminum super shine and then followed it up with busch aluminum wax and sealant to help protect it. I plan on polishing it again this summer sometime when I get a chance. Once you have the first polish done it doesn't take much to keep it looking good.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I made these a couple of years ago for my 900 The are the best mod so far.Like MH said the powder coat doesn't allow snow to stick! and I am surpised how durable it is.

boards.JPG

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I just put 1 1.5" hole in each side at the front of the footwell area and no more snow or ice. These things run so damn hot the stuff melts super fast and all it really needs is a drain. Drilling those holes doesn't cause them to bend at all either. Just 1 on each side.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Wow that polished tunnel IQ RAW looks awesome!

Per everyone's comments our tests prove conclusively that the coated boards work much BETTER then non-coated. Polished aluminum works well and so does anodized over polished but neither can compete with our coated models. It's amazing how much just a little ridge of metal or indentation will cause snow and ice to adhere. IE GET COATED!

For your 900 IQ the running board rails are pretty narrow so all we could do for that model was a classic design up in the front foot riding area. There just isn't enough room for anything further back like we do on the IQ RAW models. The customers riding the standard IQ are all enjoying the performance and we hear nothing but positives even on that model. (thousands on the snow so we get lots of testing)

The install for the IQ is very simple. Place the product as a template (it fits right where they go)..trace a cutting pattern using the inner area as your hole template...cut out one big hole (any aluminum cutting tool like air body saw $13 harbor freight..or sawsal type cutter..or wheel cutter)...grind down a few factory nubs that are still in your way...drill out any rivets that are in your way (just a couple)...clamp and drill a rivet hole..rivet in place and continue the process...install time on this model is about 1-2 hours depending on tools and skill set. (air saw or cutting wheel... drill..good drill bit..air rivet puller (can be done with hand puller but brutal)..grinder are the basic tools needed. Thousands of garage mechanics have installed Better Boards so it's not a difficult process. Enjoy!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
ABSOLUTELY GO WITH BETTER BOARDS FROM F-BOMB above..

the wife and i have them and there is no going back, or to another brand....PERIOD..

Rob Heeb, is by far the BEST quality, nicest guy in the market today..nothing but the best products will come from him..

Premium Features