• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 thermostat

R
Mar 11, 2009
Utah
Done the radiator block off. No problem but I discovered my thermostat had been removed by a previous owner should I leave it out or replace it? It seems to run good and cool without it.

K
Nov 27, 2007

how cool does it run.The stat opens at about 122 .My sled runs at 122 in good snow. I think you can run too cold.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
120's are normal.... mine gets up to 160 on crap snow days, but scratchers will make a significant difference.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Make sure that it does not have block off plug in the bypass hole if you run it.

RMX did this mod and deleted the thermostats...

IMO, Run the thermostat...

IMO, Run the thermostat

Best advice, ESPECIALLY on a fuel injected motor. Remember that the cooler the engine runs, the more fuel the computer adds. Air/fuel mixture is controlled by the ECM based on inputs from onboard sensors. Too much fuel or over fueling an engine can lead to all sorts of runnabilty issues and possible engine failure.

There are many other benefits to running a thermostat on a sled.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Done the radiator block off. No problem but I discovered my thermostat had been removed by a previous owner should I leave it out or replace it? It seems to run good and cool without it.

You can run without it just fine, the only thing is that after the sled has been sitting in the cold it takes a lot longer for them to warm up to running conditions.

I used to have an RMX head on my 900 that had the bypass blocked off and no t-stat, it would take ~10 minutes of idling before it'd hit 100 degrees ...

So yes, you can run without the t-stat but you really need to wait awhile for it to hit operating temps before you get on it.

As far as running cooler once the sled is "warmed up" .... I can't tell any difference whatsoever, because for the most part your sleds' operating temp is gonna vary widley throughout the day, especially if you go from trail to powder and so forth. In a heavy powder day with the RMX head I'd see 120-130, it's pretty much the same with the SLP head I have now ...

Premium Features