• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 MC 900, Please help I can't breathe!

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
Hello Everyone!
Well i have solved my exhaust issue only to find i think i need better air flow now. I was looking into some of the SLP products but only to call and findout they don't have anything to help me breathe better on a 04 MC 900 carb model...? :mmph: So i am here to get some advice on how to either customize my airbox or what my options are as far as buying something. As always any help is greatly appreciated...
BTW we are supposed to have 10"-20" by this weekend and i would really like to not be sucking snow from foot well intakes all weekend...
A few quick fix questions...
1) if i block off the foot well intakes does the airbox pull from anywhere else?
2) If i drill some tiny holes in the back of the box will that help at all?
3) What about switching to pods? pros and cons?

Thanks for your time
Matt

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
What makes you think you need more flow? There are a number of options. Some guys butchered the top of the box and stuck a snorkel up with some frog skin into the speedo hole, slp made a kit to do just that, some guys just made their own with plastic pipe fittings. Most everyone took out the air shelf. The back of the box should have a frog skin vent already in it, if not cut a 22x5 inch hole and glue some over it.

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
Well, maybe its not so much more air flow but maybe better airflow from higher up on the sled. Currently i will be riding in lets say 6-10" of fresh snow maybe more. Mostly boondocking through the meadows, enough so that the foot well intake are usually covered with snow or they are right about at the snow level... i would say i'm usually 1/2 to 3/4 throttle then i notice a bog, lack of power. If i blip the throttle or hold it wide open for a bit and not boondock anymore but just ride it flat it will improve alittle and running WOT for extends periods seems to really clean it out... but as soon as i start playing again it will bog/almost die on me... Starts fine and runs great up the trail to the meadows. Then I play for 15min in the meadows and this issue will start up.. However i did noticed that even after i cleaned out the foot wells, and reached into the intake tubes as far as my fat hand will reach and pull out any snow/ice build up, then start heading back down the trail, while on the trail if i hold it WOT it will pull really well for 4-5sec then it bogs/dies if i blip the throttle and go back to WOT it will be full power again... Im gonna pull top off the airbox tonight and see if the previous owner removed the air shelf or not... and i will try and take some video of the issue this weekend... again thanks for the help.
One last question
If do plan on making the speedo intake will i need to change my jets afterwards?

Last edited:
W
Nov 14, 2008
colorado
Here are your best options:

1. SLP pre-filters or Outerwears pre filters over your foot well intakes.
2. Tape off the underhood intakes (they are behind exhaust and behind secondary clutch)
3. Gut your airbox (pull out the horns and the shelf)
4. DO NOT use pod filters. They are great for east coast trail riders, that's about it. All they do is use underhood air = moist, warm = lots of bogging.
5. Re-jet if you are bogging. Don't go too lean, but maybe you are jetted a little too rich if you are still bogging.
6. Make sure your plenum and airbox are sealed tight. Check connections, especially to carbs.
7. Snorkel from top of airbox out through speedo. Run a search, there are many examples on this site among others.

Honestly, I noticed the biggest difference by just adding the pre-filter material over my intakes and taping off the inside air intake holes. It's easy, cheap, and makes a pretty big difference.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I had the same bog mainly right side. Blocked the air intakes on the engine side, took pre filter foam out of the intake tube and covered the foot well pick ups with frog skins. Then I drilled a series of holes in the lid of the air box and inside the tool kit area. In the inside of the air box top. The one that has to be removed to gut the box I took the filter foam from the foot well pick up tubes and used spray glue around the edge of it to attache under the holes I drilled in the top. This is to keep snow out like it did in the foot well pick ups. Hopefully a picture says a thousand words. Haven't had a chance to ride in deep pow yet but seems to help with the right side bog when I dive to the right.
I may put some of frog skin or filter material over the top of the lid as a precaution. This way I get extra air, Look decent and I keep the tool kit

Just a helpful tool, I used 1/4 inch wire mesh...The type used for your foundation vent on the house as the pattern for drilling. I just cut a piece the size of the square on the lid and used the squares as the guide.

IMG_0456.jpg IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0454.jpg IMG_0453.jpg

Last edited:
S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
CC, i wish i had that yesterday... We had to turn around yesterday cause the snow was too deep... never thought i would say it, but after going 10miles and using half a tank we were all so spent from getting each other unstuck, that we called it a day and headed back. So I did tape off both of the intakes coming from the engine to the intake tubes and that did make a big difference, but there was so much snow yesterday that i think the snorkel would of been the only option. I rode on saturday too in some windbuffed snow and it ran great only got a slight bog on some deep down hill turns. so thanks for all the help. I will get some pics and vid up soon so u all can see why i needed a snorkel yesterday. So when i got back home i took of both the intake cover and had tons of snow in there. so now my question is if i did suck some snow in my motor, what can i do to help clean it out, i was talking to a buddy and he said to check my power valves for condensation... any other suggestions...?
Thanks again for all the help.

Premium Features