• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 900 efi mountain cat engine problems

B
Oct 18, 2010
I have a 900 mountain cat. I took it out this winter and was getting it ready to go to cooke city by going through every thing track, bearing, power valves. After i did all of that i drove it about 20-30 miles before taking it to cooke when we left it was around 25 below and when we unloaded in cooke it was 20. I started it up and let it idle for 10-15 to let it warm up and then we took off made it .4 miles be for it locked up. so when i got it home took it apart and the cylinder was not getting oil what should i look for before i just put new pistons in and drive it another 10 miles and locks up on me again. thanks

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well check you autolube for proper function and no air..
even once you find the problem , whatever it is , after your rebuild mix the gas as well as having the autolube and then you can physically see if you oil tank level is dropping during the breakin while having the safety of mixed gas..

but without pics its hard to know if you had lean burn...4 corner cold sieze...det...overheat..??

B
Oct 18, 2010
I dont think it was a cold seize there were 2 score spots on the front and back of the piston. and i pulled off the throttle body's and look at where the oil injects in to the engine there was oil right there.

Premium Features