• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 800 Vertical Edge Piston Damage

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
A friend of mine ran his 2004 Vertical Edge 800 today for the first time this year. After two miles his engine siezed. The PTO piston was damaged more than his MAG side piston. It was a fairly warm day for riding at Strawberry today. The snowmobile has 2500 miles on it. It has a set of SLP twin pipes on it. By looking at the piston domes the jetting seems acurate. Any suggestions? Do Liberty 800's seem to have problems at this mileage interval?Is it better to run Polaris pistons or aftermarket options like Wiseco? Thank you for your help! Any suggestions are appreciated!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The 800 is pretty easy on pistons. Did it over heat? You sure it wasn't a bottom end problem that caused the topend damage? Bad fuel could cause it or dirty carbs.

I run only aftermarket pistons, but the SPIs are nearly impossible to get right now so Wiseco or OEM might be your only option. And for what the Wisecos costs I'd run OEMs.

I see you are from Riverton, is the sled in Riverton too?

sled_guy

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Does he have an slp high flow air box top and a gutted air box? That can take out piston real easy as well since the airbox acts like a big funnel when the hood is open and trash can get it in and take out pistons......Just ask my boy. I took one out that way as well. Always cover that thing any time the hood is open.

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
04 Vertical Edge 800

Yes the sled is from Riverton. Not sure on the Airbox mod I will have to ask. For the most part the sled has been problem free except for a few small self inflicted wounds. I am just trying to help out a friend! Thank you for the assistance!

Premium Features