• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 m/c runs bad in deep powder

mytimbits

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
i have a 2003 cat 900 1m and on the weekend driving through deep powder and the air box was filling with snow and freezing the carbs. i have a slp airbox and if i block off the foot well air intakes it seems to starve for air.what are my options?

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Put pre-filters on the intake vents

X2

SLP prefilters run you about $30.00. It helped mine, and dads. I almost lost one of mine though so I carefully siliconed them to the vent cover, and then in place.

There is an opening on the back side of your intake on the right side (by the chain case). I put intake filter foam in that. I cut it about an inch too big (all around), then I cut a slice in the edge so it have a lip all around it, and would fit in snuggly in place.

and the other thing that I did is put metal tape on the under side of the intakes, where there are two slits for drainage.

I'm keeping all of the fluffy stuff out, and it's working pretty good.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I dont know if your sled has this but on my sled over by the clutches there is a red gas switch and if it is deep i run it open and if it is hot i run it off. Is your sled carb

i believe this is a coolant line and it heats the carbs and only on some models not all had this option.

i found the slp vent pre filters suck in deep snow and the best result was to take the tack and move it over to the speedo hole and put in a 4" prefilter in the tack hole make a abs or pvc top for your airbox and use a piece of 4" abs or rubber 45 or 90 deg pipe and cut a hole in the top of the box and cut the other end to be flush with the 4" flowrite. ultimately you will find the hood design is too flat and low for deep snow to keep enough air to the engine and a mesh hood and pods are the best chance for good air flow.
P1010392.jpg

P1010393.jpg

P1010394.jpg

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
i believe this is a coolant line and it heats the carbs and only on some models not all had this option.

i found the slp vent pre filters suck in deep snow and the best result was to take the tack and move it over to the speedo hole and put in a 4" prefilter in the tack hole make a abs or pvc top for your airbox and use a piece of 4" abs or rubber 45 or 90 deg pipe and cut a hole in the top of the box and cut the other end to be flush with the 4" flowrite. ultimately you will find the hood design is too flat and low for deep snow to keep enough air to the engine and a mesh hood and pods are the best chance for good air flow.
P1010392.jpg

P1010393.jpg

P1010394.jpg

X2... This was the fix on my pa's 1150

S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
Get rid of the airbox and put some Kickass filters on the old girl!! Best thing I did for it. I then cut some magnetic sign material and put that over the hood vent screens in the really deep powder. Take them off when the snow is limited. Pulls strong all day long. Had my 14 year old boy riding it this past weekend in 2 & 1/2 feet of dry northern powder.

Premium Features