• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 Timbersled Riot 3" Track First Ride Impressions

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
SW.jpg
Been riding snowbikes for 5 years in the Sierra on a yeti 120 kit updated with max 2 track and soft strut. Have friends with lots of different TImbersled kits to compare against. The Yeti was always quickest through the trees but the Timbersleds consistently out pulled the Yeti by 20 feet on steep climbs. The Yeti is nimble and light feeling but compared to the Timbersleds got stuck more often on climbs. I also broke 5 belt deflectors from contact with rock or logs hidden in the snow and the TImbersleds never broke anything because of the higher placement of the chain drive. I run a Thumper Racing 570 ktm so when Timbersled announced the 3" track I thought it would be a match made in heaven.

Got my Premium Riot 3 with TSS QSL last Thursday and then out on the snow on Saturday. Used the factory spring preload settings out of the box and 250 air pounds in the QSL. Factory set to 14 inches long for my bike.

First thing I noticed is how much higher the foot pegs were. Like 2 to 3 inches higher! Even compared with the 2020 Riot. That should have been my first clue that something was wrong. A 1/2 taller lug should not make the pegs that high. Clickers were set to soft and I was liking the suspension feel. It felt like twice the suspension of anything I else I have tried. But every time I came to a stop the damn thing fell over because I could not dab a foot it was so tall. In slow nasty terrain same thing happened I kept falling over like a total newbie. Center of gravity was just too high. Picking it up was so much harder too because it was tall and also heavier than the Yeti I was used to. The traction is just insane on it but I was starting to get buyers remorse because it was falling over so easy. I am 180 pounds, 5 foot 11 and 32 inch inseam so my legs aren't that short. The front end was very planted and not lifting as much as I expected on a Riot. The snow was pretty set up which made things worse because it was sitting so high on the snow and tippy. I bet people who ride 10 inches of powder or more wouldn't have a problem on their first ride though.

We ended up dropping the TSS QSL pressure to 200 (suggested minimum) and then shortened the total strut length as far in as it would go about 3/4" shorter. Then we moved the forks up in the triple clamps as high as possible. This completely lowered the pegs to a reasonable height and changed the feel of the kit drastically. Like night and day difference. Didn't tip over once the rest of the day. I could dab a foot when I needed to. The front end would come up easier and felt more playful. I was in total heaven with the feel of the kit!

We did some hill climb pulls to compare the Riot 3 to a 2020 Riot on a 525 ktm. In a foot deep soft snow the Riot 3 consistently out climbed the older Riot by 50 to 60 feet! In knarly tree riding with buried logs you can traction through with surprising ease. Also when you have to a make a split decision and the only option is a steep wall of snow, it will crawl up and over with no momentum to help. I think the Yeti is still more nimble when it comes to fast tree riding and quick direction changes. I love the Riot 3 for its huge suspension travel, playful feel, amazing traction and ability to pull you out of sticky situations. I have decided to sell my snowmobile too. I have liked having a sled for those deep days and steep pulls but now I can get that fix on the Riot 3". Sure, it won't out pull a sled on a hill climb but it's getting closer!

Hope this helps any first time buyers with the Riot 3". The factory settings seem way off to start. I could see people getting frustrated. Next I am going to try lowering the preload on the skid shocks and increase the height of the strut a little because my rear fender is hitting the gas tanks on the tunnel. Would love to hear anyone else's first ride experiences or suspension set ups that they like.

Riot3 1.jpg

Last edited:

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
factory preload is at the lowest you can go. make sure you adjust it with no weight on the skid, you'll find that you can't go really out at all without loose contact. For my 2020 Yamaha I ended up adding a touch of length to the strut as it was a bit slack (27 degrees) Every bike is different. It feels amazing and I got away with murder with regards to mistakes, and things that would have stuck me on every other kit I've tried in the last 6 years.

S
Jan 3, 2019
factory preload is at the lowest you can go. make sure you adjust it with no weight on the skid, you'll find that you can't go really out at all without loose contact. For my 2020 Yamaha I ended up adding a touch of length to the strut as it was a bit slack (27 degrees) Every bike is different. It feels amazing and I got away with murder with regards to mistakes, and things that would have stuck me on every other kit I've tried in the last 6 years.

I love my new Riot 3”. Feels more like a dirt bike than any track I have rode yet!
I have seen a few post about angles. What is the optimum angle for the forks? Thanks

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
around 30 degrees is good for backcountry, you can steeper if you want to corner on hardpack more aggressively, but it will be a lot more bar pressure overall and can provide more... surprises as you get steeper. Measure the angle off the chrome lower sanctions... no taper to them.

C
Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
If you want it even more nimble in heavier snow, there are lines on the outside lugs on an angle. If you cut the lugs on that angle it will let the bike turn quicker like the 2 1/2” tracks that where tapered on the edges. That’s one of the things we did on the 3” Aro (not the riot) after the first year of riding it. We loved the change and it did not take much anything noticeable away from the overall traction of the 3”… just something you can think about and try later if you want it a little more nimble… at least that is what my riding partner and I found. We have two identical set ups and did one first and after comparing both ended up that way… we still have a smile every day on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
Good idea on tapering the lugs! However, we noticed on spring snow hard pack the tapered lugs had more of a tendency to wash out on side hills instead of biting like the older squared off tracks. But, thats the only flaw we saw to tapered lugs. In most conditions its better and more nimble as you suggest. I wonder if tapering every other one would be the perfect mix for all conditions? I'll have to give it a try. ?

Premium Features