• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 800 Engine Problem

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Hope someone can help me out, as I have just about run out of ideas.

I have a 2003 800 RMK mostly stock with a SLP Pipe and Air Box.
It runs great 90% of the time. I will be riding down the trial or playing in the powder and the engine will cut out as if it is not getting gas. Sometimes i can pump the gas and keep it running other times it just dies.

I have checked the carbs, and rebuilt the fuel pump. Also have removed the fuel filter from the tank and placed one inline.

At this point I am starting to think it is more of an ignition problem, though I still have spark when it is dead.

Anyone have any better ideas?

:(

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Fule Pump sits under the Carbs. All the Lines Look good with no kinks. As for the Mag Side seal, That is a good question! Know the Clutch side is leaking a little oil and a rebuild is on tap for this summer, so that may fix the problem!

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Thought of that as well, Added scratcher's to help kick up snow and still having issues.

I should say this usually only last about 10-15 seconds then takes off and runs again. Every once in a while it would go completely dead. I would pull the gas cap off and blow into the tank fire it up and off and running. This is why I rebuilt fuel pump. Now after rebuilding the pump, it definitely starts better, 1-2 pulls.

When it is completely dead I have pulled the plugs and I have spark.

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
Check the gas tank vent real good, i have seen a couple of sleds that the line gets pinched after a couple of years of riding!
Let us know what you find!

M
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota
I may be way off, but check the headlight seal after you remove the plenum on the inside of the hood under the headlight. Mine had gaps big enough to drive an Arctic Cat thru. Sealed it up with foam rodstock and faulk and problem went away.

Premium Features