• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 800 EFI 7000 rpm

G
Dec 24, 2008
Just picked up an 03 mountain cat 800efi and took it riding for the weekend. Ran AWESOME for the most part but found that ripping across meadows it would occasionaly bog and only pull roughly 7000 rpm, almost sounded like it was missfiring. then at other times it would rip at 8100 rpm's no problems. found that if I let off the throttle then reapply it seemed to clean up? any ideas? I'm taking the power valves out tomorrow for a good cleaning not being sure if it's ever been done. Sorry for the long post:beer; Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

G
Dec 24, 2008
7400 rpm being max? at times power was killer at other times ran like a 550cc
do dtc's store in ecu on these or will they only set and stay if the sled is left running. also how would you go about pulling dtc's? Thanks

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
More than likely clutching, I would replace all the springs and clean both primary and sec. 7400 to 7500 is where you want the 800 efi to run. The cables on the power valves can stretch, check and sync them.

G
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for the input

I pulled my valves and they were disgusting, I actually had to pry them out with a pocket screw driver:eek: cleaned them up nicely and just waiting for weekend to ride and see if it made a difference, can't imagine having valves that slide free wouldn't make a difference.:beer;:beer; for both of you

Premium Features