• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

020 Belt Redesigned - Junk after 40 miles

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I just put a new 020 belt on my KK this year and noticed after about 30 miles that I had a bog. Finally checked the belt and it was stretched big time. Floppy as heck too. Anyone else run into this? Running last years 020 for now but only have that one left.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Sorry but I have never seen a belt STRETCH. Granted they might just a bit, but typically they blow up if pulled that hard.

personally I would check the center to center on your primary and secondary.

Don't know the correct number off the top of my head but I would start their.

Also their is the bump stop between the back of the motor and the jack shaft bearing mount. make sure isn't broken off or missing the rubber.

Again I have put a lot of miles on that chassis and never had a belt "stretch". I have had my fair share of blown belts and clutch problems but....

Thunder

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
The new 020 belts are junk imo! They are a harder compound and seem to slip more. I also have seen that they do seem either narrower or longer resetting deflection is a must. Im running the last of my good older style 20's i have about 3 of each and the new style are all sitting on the shelf collecting dust!

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
belts

I have ran the cat 031 and an 035 for the last 7 years on all my mountain and king cats and have NEVER had a belt issue ! I believe the 035 works better but the 031 seems to last longer. I always ran an 035 on my Cutler 1150 and never blew one not even at 90mph and yes it would do it. I would run the 035 for about 350-400 miles then sell it or put it on one of my other sleds and they worked great. The 1150 liked the sweet spot on the belt and after said mileage it would start loosing RPMs. Hope this helps

Cheers

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Sorry but I have never seen a belt STRETCH. Granted they might just a bit, but typically they blow up if pulled that hard.

personally I would check the center to center on your primary and secondary.

Don't know the correct number off the top of my head but I would start their.

Also their is the bump stop between the back of the motor and the jack shaft bearing mount. make sure isn't broken off or missing the rubber.

Again I have put a lot of miles on that chassis and never had a belt "stretch". I have had my fair share of blown belts and clutch problems but....

Thunder

Thanks for the feedback Thunder - have not talked to you in years. This one is definately stretched. I put my last year's 020 back on and it was fine so I am not worried about the center to center distance. If you could have seen this belt you would have been shaken your head. That is why I threw this post out. It was the easiest belt I ever pulled off the old KK. 0 effort. It was tight when I put it on.

Think I will switch to an aftermarket. Anyone have any recommendations? Gates, Carlisle etc?

Thanks,
Chris

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Gates 38x4740 works very similar to the old 020 belts, and seems to hold up just as good. I hate it when they change something that works and it turns to $hit.:face-icon-small-fro

01ZRTCAT

Mar 12, 2010
Are You properly breaking in the belt? They need at least 50 miles of normal riding!
You did not mention breaking in the belt, I have never seen a 020 stretch!! But I wouldn't doubt that they have changed in some way?

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
no, not breaking in the belt right. But I never have. I wash em up good and then the ride in is about 16 miles. I take it easy for those 16 and then I just ride. It has never been a problem before but maybe the re-designed belt needs it.

Premium Features