• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 RMK 800-high idle problems

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
F
Sep 1, 2008
HAVRE,MT
This is new to me-just picked it up 2 weeks ago- nice sled with a good price.
It always ran higher rpm-according to the old owner. SLP did a lot of work on the eng. port and polish,heads,pipes,big bearing kit,balanced crank,vf3,bored carbs-etc/
I kinda think the old owner just didnt have the time to dial it in-and with the help of you folks --It works
I will still play with the settings a little for maximun performance- but the jets I have in there now- are they ok.
mains are 410 and 430
pilots are 145 & 145
fuels are 45 & 45
I live at 2650 ft= ride sometimes to 7800ft
Is this a good setup?????????

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I kind of figured that was the case. Cool, you just got you idle dialed in then and I wouldn't worry too much about looking for leaks or the cause, it was probably just an adjustment issue. I don't ride at your elevations so maybe others here will help you with that. Go to slp's web site and you can print out their clutching and jetting charts for that with the pipes you have. You say it is ported and bored carbs as well, I would just call slp and tell them what you have and that you just bought the sled used, and are looking for baseline jetting. Make sure to tell them ALL the mods that are done to it. Beyond that, once it snows and you can actually ride it, check you plugs frequently for color until you get to know the sled better!!! Have fun, it should rip.
Tim

B

BYOB

Feb 18, 2003
Canada, Eh
Something to check... I had a high idle problem on my 03 800 after changing a cracked cylinder out over the summer. Tried everything I could think of and kept riding between looking at it. Had to use the choke to bring the idle down. Ended up being the drain plug on one cylinder in the bottom end was not back in the hole, it was in a threaded hole close to it that I think is used on the assembly line. Take a look and see that they are in the proper holes... sometimes **** happens.

Premium Features