• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mapping/Ignition Advance Switch- KTM 500

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I am trying to change my map to utilize my Ignition Advance Switch. I have had my bike down at my local KTM dealer for two days trying to find the map to download. He contacted KTM and since its a "XC-W" (a potential "on-road" bike) he said that he shouldn't even be talking to him about changing the ECU. KTM was no help whatsoever and will not tell him where to find the map or how to unlock it, etc.

The map number straight from Trail Tech is KM787EU12CO601. This is the map for the XC-W model that will unlock the Ignition Advance feature but since KTM won't hand it over, where do I find it??

Also, will a Dobeck Controller effect the ECU? Its a closed loop fuel and it shouldn't effect anything as far as mapping goes, correct?

Please Help while I still have the attention of my dealer!!

Looking for an Extra boost in power from your KTM 500 XCW?

As promised, here ya go guys - FUEL AND IGNITION CONTROL in one box for the CDI bikes. Initial testing has proven extremely successful.....This particular unit and dyno runs were done on a 2014 500 XCW, but will also work on all 250/350/450 cc bikes through 2013. Other models are being designed as we speak. This 500 is a stock bike in the first run, then tuned with a PCV-CDI in the second run. A big 6HP GAIN plus more overrev by raising the rev limiter!

Look for availability of this unit very soon for all Orange, Green, Yellow, and the Yellow/White Husky bikes.

dsc09970_zpsf5gt1bik.jpg

~T.J.

Last edited:
A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
?

Looking for an Extra boost in power from your KTM 500 XCW?

As promised, here ya go guys - FUEL AND IGNITION CONTROL in one box for the CDI bikes. Initial testing has proven extremely successful.....This particular unit and dyno runs were done on a 2014 500 XCW, but will also work on all 250/350/450 cc bikes through 2013. Other models are being designed as we speak. This 500 is a stock bike in the first run, then tuned with a PCV-CDI in the second run. A big 6HP GAIN plus more overrev by raising the rev limiter!

Look for availability of this unit very soon for all Orange, Green, Yellow, and the Yellow/White Husky bikes.

dsc09970_zpsf5gt1bik.jpg

~T.J.

Does this package need a exhaust sensor for the fuel side of things?

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
I am sure it will, I just called them today asking about this setup and it is still in the works and not sure if they will be able to make it happen or not.

Does this package need a exhaust sensor for the fuel side of things?
Does a PCV ever need an exhaust sensor? The answer is NO! That is the beauty of each Power Commander map developed by Dynojet. Whether your machine stock, heavily modified, or boosted via spray or turbocharger, a Power Commander map will be spot on each day every time you start the engine.
Say - for example, you take a stock bike and add a new intake and exhaust (hard parts) which add 8% efficiency to how the engine makes power at a specific point in the powerband. So in the PCV, we add 8% fuel load at that specific location to take care of that increase in airflow keeping a safe under-stoich ratio (we also tune the rest of the powerband inserting the numbers respective to each operating area)...Well, these "hard parts" never change in their construction, and merely the outside environmental conditions do. Even if you ride this bike from 400' cresting up to 9000', the intake/exhaust still need their 8% increase in fuel flow - so the Power Commander never leaves itself wondering what it should do for fuel change.
This fact as is common with all piggyback fuel controllers relies on the stock ECU calibration knowing how it should compensate between sea level and high elevation, or 100*F versus -20* below....if the trimming works as it should and the OEM engineers have done their homework, this always works. If they haven't, we provide an optional Autotune device which drops the AFR sensor you speak of into the exhaust allowing you to tell the map what you'd like it to run at every point throughout your daily ride. The Autotune monitors the exhaust gas air:fuel ratio burn and trims the fueling to meet what you want it to be real-time with no need to worry.

Since we already have this circuitry built up in-house, a minor harness tweak to get these ready for each of the above mentioned bikes will happen quickly.

If you're solely looking for the Euro map (or XC map) any dealer can "technically" do that for you. They just need the UST or very handy User Setting Tool. Mike is correct that I've seen this done back and forth at the mentioned dealer on a KTM 500 to increase the power hit. The same bike shown in these dynoruns I've ridden stock, Euro'd, and put back to stock - big difference. Imagine taking a grunty tractor and pulling the 500lbs of counterweights off the front it allowing it to wheelie and pull harder through each gear - flat out works. Then had it programmed back to XC-W mapping to do this testing eventually ending up with about the same ignition advance for power delivery along with minor alterations to how the Euro map wanted to fuel it inside the PCV map tables.

~T.J.

Reactions: blacklabel28
B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
Map switch

I am trying to change my map to utilize my Ignition Advance Switch. I have had my bike down at my local KTM dealer for two days trying to find the map to download. He contacted KTM and since its a "XC-W" (a potential "on-road" bike) he said that he shouldn't even be talking to him about changing the ECU. KTM was no help whatsoever and will not tell him where to find the map or how to unlock it, etc.

The map number straight from Trail Tech is KM787EU12CO601. This is the map for the XC-W model that will unlock the Ignition Advance feature but since KTM won't hand it over, where do I find it??

Also, will a Dobeck Controller effect the ECU? Its a closed loop fuel and it shouldn't effect anything as far as mapping goes, correct?

Please Help while I still have the attention of my dealer!!

Are u referring to the under seat map switch? The stock xcw will support advancing the timing by plugging in the map switch and placing the dial in the number 2 position. The euro map is something totally different and isn't necessary for the addition of the map switch.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I recently went threw this on two new 501's. The dealer installed the eu maps in both bikes, both ran in limp mode as the Eu bikes use a O2 sensor and the us versions not. 2015/16
Basically in a nut shell its a no go. Or so I have been lead to believe from people I trust.
Now both bikes are getting power commanders and a new dry nos kit that we are working on,all setup threw Nells at twowheeldyno works.

Dynojet.. The Pc that was ordered threw nells a few weeks ago, will he be able to program it like what you are talking about? or is this a new version?

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Map

Are u referring to the under seat map switch? The stock xcw will support advancing the timing by plugging in the map switch and placing the dial in the number 2 position. The euro map is something totally different and isn't necessary for the addition of the map switch.

The Euro Map is needed to unlock the ECU. Once the ECU is unlocked, it opens the capability to adjust ignition timing via the ignition advance switch. The Euro Map would be a bonus of course because the fueling is so much better. At least that's what I hear.

If my dealer could find the map or if KTM would provide the map to him this wouldn't be a problem. KTM will not distribute the map because CARB has threatened them with fines close to a million and dealers close to 50k. They were threatened because the XC-W is potentially still a "on-road" bike. Which my bike will never go near again.

My dealer and I believe that they have removed the Euro Map from the XC1/UST tool with the most recent update so that dealers cannot load this map on anymore.

Bootlegged copy of it is my only hope at this point? I definitely don't want to have to ship my ECU off to get re-flashed by someone that still has the capability.

It's a bummer because I know the 500 has so much more in it. Guess I am just gonna have to roll with the Dobeck and leave the ignition timing at the stock setting/wait to see what Dynojet comes out with for CDI tuning.

I recently went threw this on two new 501's. The dealer installed the eu maps in both bikes, both ran in limp mode as the Eu bikes use a O2 sensor and the us versions not. 2015/16
Basically in a nut shell its a no go. Or so I have been lead to believe from people I trust.
Now both bikes are getting power commanders and a new dry nos kit that we are working on,all setup threw Nells at twowheeldyno works.

Dynojet.. The Pc that was ordered threw nells a few weeks ago, will he be able to program it like what you are talking about? or is this a new version?
off road rider,
Bummer to hear that KTM has now locked out the Euro map from loading into the new 500's.
Luckily for us the main goal with the PCV having Fuel and Timing control is to provide the exact same changes which the Euro map would do the ECU, but in piggyback state. Since we have control of the only 2 outputs sent by the ECU in any simple EFI engine - Fuel or Spark, we can do anything the Euro map can including raising the rev limiter :face-icon-small-coo.

Nitrous is a perfect addition as well paired with the Power Commander! I too am loving the simplicity of the dry kit on my 'Zuk already.

Unfortunately this is a brand new PCV with new hardware inside it - not just a Firmware update conducted to enable the timing control - so he will not be able to reprogram it.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Soo before the says of ipads etc a fella could use a wrench and just manually crank up timing by moving the sensor, flywheel, using keys and so on.

never had a ktm apart but i would think its doable. just need to look at a manual.

same think with tricking sensors. you can go to an electronics shop and get little resistors to add in or replace in the system.

might sound like a dinosaur, but there is always a way to get what you want. most dealers are too busy telling you how much smarter they are than you.

hats off to the guys making boxes now. makes it way easier.

LLRotax#88,
The EXC is a bit of different install when it comes to their connector placement. For this reason, our Fuel only controllers for the 500 XCW and 500 EXC are different, namely in the harness. Since the EXC was a CARB bike, we opted for a different TPS connection method instead of going right to the throttle body connector. This TPS connection is the main difference between our 2 different models (PN 18-012 for the XCW and 18-019 for the EXC). It'd be a gamble if leg lengths to reach each connector are sufficient between the two, but it sure might work. I can look into it.

SnoFro,
The RevXtend feature to raise the rev limiter is something that Dynojet has been doing for year and years. Any time we have a Fuel + Ignition controller, raising the rev limiter is always possible (until perhaps a speed limiter kicks in) since we have control of the only two outputs from the ECU which cause a combustion event -- fuel and spark. All it took for these CDI bikes was adding in the Ignition control to our already stout Fuel only unit - and walla!! RevXtend....The units in the hands of a flock of beta/gamma riders have raised limiters set to 9500 :face-icon-small-coo but can always be changed to what the owner desires, or turned off to run the stock limit.

Thanks guys!
Production is Getting closer to having these in everyone's hands. Exciting times!
~T.J.

Well It's long overdue, but I am happy to say that a plethora of orange colored bike riders can purchase a fuel + ignition controller for their KTM!
We've actually had them done for quite some time now --- and I forgot to update all the friendly SnoWesters on the progress of these units!! I guess I've just been riding far too much
face-icon-small-cool.gif

Fitment for this specific unit under PN 18-022 covers a whole flock of bikes:
2011-2012 KTM 250/350 SXF/XCF
2012-2016 KTM 250/350/450/500 XCW (including Six Days)
2012-2016 KTM 350/500 EXC
2015-2016 Husky FE 250/350/501

The new 2016 KTM/Husky race bikes fall under a new number as 18-025. This applies to all 2016 Husky FC or KTM SXF/XCF bikes.
Now you can enjoy the freedom to map in your bike with fuel adjustment ranging from -100% / +250% AND advance or retard timing by a whopping 20*!! These PCV Fuel + Ignition units are of course compatible with our accessories such as the Map Switch -- to toggle between two separate maps or activate nitrous, the Autotune -- to always fuel your bike to your desired AFR making constant real time adjustments, and the POD-300 Digital Display -- to view or log data, set up warning alarm lights, and adjust fueling in the field.

I've loved hearing the raves from riders already running these for most of the season....numerous riding days where the big king 450 is beating up on the 500, then the 500 gets dialed in with a new PCV returning the next day to even the score --- now leaves the 450 desiring the real performance unleashed by the PCV....'tis all so much fun resulting in the "Thanks for making my bike RIP!!!"

Check here http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/ for more details!

~T.J.

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Dobeck with Dynojet Ignition Timing

This is great! I'm very excited to get a update on this.

Is there anyway I can tune "just" the Ignition timing with the Dynojet and leave my Dobeck Fuel Controller in place to manage fuel?

And if so can I utilize my Trail Tech Map Switch?

Thanks
Jerry Lee

Premium Features