• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A DD fluid question?

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
Go buy some Royal Purple Syncro mesh

S
Sep 18, 2013
Would it be ok to run lucas synthetic trans fluid 80w in my diamond drive, 2007 m1000.

The DD is just a helical gear drive so any extreme pressure / high shock / low friction oil will work. Me personally am not a fan of auto trans oil in anything except an auto trans. Auto trans fluid is more of a hydraulic fluid then a gear oil. But I can tell you I know guys who swear by it in all kinds of gear boxes. I reread this and your talking manual trans/diff fluid right? I would say you should be ok, just use the correct amount for your application.

Last edited:

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
dd fluid

Ive used Amsoil 80/90w full synthetic gear oil for the past 6 years on my 07 m1000 so Thats what I would recommend:face-icon-small-coo

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Amsoil sells oil made for the DD. I've even read they are the ones the supply BDX the oil and BDX relabels it.

I pondered using something more convenient/readily available, then I ordered Amsoil online. 2 bottles. Glad I did. I trust the oil, but also, the bottles are really cool with the spouts that come with them. I will use the bottles for other things like adding oil to stuff that you would typically have to use a funnel for.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Oil?

What does Amsoil call this DD oil that they sale?
Amsoil sells oil made for the DD. I've even read they are the ones the supply BDX the oil and BDX relabels it.

I pondered using something more convenient/readily available, then I ordered Amsoil online. 2 bottles. Glad I did. I trust the oil, but also, the bottles are really cool with the spouts that come with them. I will use the bottles for other things like adding oil to stuff that you would typically have to use a funnel for.

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
I used plain Jane 80/90 gear oil. 2000 km ago no problem. This reminds me that I need to change it.

I spilt lots out of the 5 litre jug trying to fill the dd with a large funnel but it didn't matter because it was cheap oil lol.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have been guided to run this Redline oil in my DD, from a pretty good Cat mechanic that I trust

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=42&pcid=8

I've used this stuff in an aftermarket manual transmission. If you're ever trying to clean this stuff out, it's near impossible as it coats/sticks to EVERYTHING.

It's also bright pink, so you'll know it's leaking if you ever see it!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The cat dd oil is very lightweight like 10w hyd oil.
The old myth that you could only use cat oil is untrue as almost any oil will work ok.
I still use a lightweight oil especially on my 05 cause only 3oz of heavy gear oil could get all slung onto the case and have no oil bath for the bottom gear to run thru. But looks like plenty of folks using 80-90wt with no issues.

Premium Features