• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 polaris 900

L
Sep 30, 2010
I have a 06 900 and i want to lighten it up and increase horsepower, what are some cheap and effective upgrades that i can do?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Just start reading in the 900 forum there are so many options you can do. Once you start putting stuff on and taking stuff off you will be hooked on the 900 forever these sleds have some major power.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
The biggest things

Get rid of all that foam insulation under the hood. That stuff absorbs so much water and make it weigh a ton. Use a reflective heat tape instead.

You’re going to want to get plenty of air flow under the hood. Get some vents. Do a search there are TONS of vents for these sleds.

Get rid of the ugly stock can its heavy. There is a used SLP can on here right now for $80 under the 900 forum.

Get rid of the front radiator the way it's hooked up not much coolant runs through it and that’s extra weight on the nose of the sled.

Put on some 08+ spindles of the newer IQ sleds will be a lot easier to steer.

If you do more deep snow take out the sway bar will be allot easier to tip it over.

Clutching and gearing are important. There are tons of threads on this you are going to need to read.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164838

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157066

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Few more things most people do to these sleds.

Check the motor mounts over. Your going to have to pull the motor out to truly check them, if there bad replace with Comfusion motor mounts.

Change all motor mount bolts to grade 8. The 900 has some major torque and the stock bolts will snap.

Changed the belt to the 1115 belt

Stock Front bumpers are junk. I think there are three after market bumpers for these sleds.

Shocks, For the front ski shocks most go with Fox Zero Pros. The back shocks i'm not sure of yet I still have my stock ones.

Skis - The stock sidehiller 2's suck if you ask me. Find a set of take off grippers would be the cheapest. I just went and bought a new set and the price was still really good off of babbits

FBF throttle cable is a good idea.

Clean the exhaust valves.

I love my Better boards one of the best things I have done with my 900

When you have the motor out leave the bottom two bolts for the recoil out. Makes it much eisier to change the recoil if the rope ever snaps on you. (I have had it happen twice already)

L
Sep 30, 2010
06 900

Thanks i appreciate it i have some vents and the SLP can i will try taking out the foam and look into getting some more vents. one more question does taking out the sway bar weaking the front end?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Thanks i appreciate it i have some vents and the SLP can i will try taking out the foam and look into getting some more vents. one more question does taking out the sway bar weaking the front end?

No, it's going to feel a little more Tipsy on the trails but better shocks will get rid of that, and some people (I didn't) don't really notice the differance with it of on trail. But in the deep it's much eisier to pull the sled on its side. I would say 95% of people like it out better then they do in.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
porting your track will drop a lot of weight, and free up some HP,

removing the stock airbox and replacing it with a slp or timbersled unit will drop some l-b's aswell, i dont know how much lighter the fire n ice unit is compared to the stock one, but i hear its the best as far as funtionality goes!

they say removing the front radiator drops 7 lbs.

i think changing out the stock can is probably the sinngle biggest weight saving measure you can take. that sucka is heavy!

Premium Features