• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has replaced their DD Bearing on 2010 with 5203 Bearing?

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
I have been following the other thread on this issue, and am a little concerned.

I want to know who has replaced their 2010 DD bearing 6203 with a 5203 double row bearing and what have been the results? I have read about a few that had some clearance issues and needed the trackshaft trimmed or spacers behind the brake caliper, etc... to fit the new bearing.

I just replaced my stock 6203 bearing at 550 miles as precautionary measure with the wider 5203 before I head out west this weekend. Haven't had a chance to drive it since to make sure everything is alright.

Who has replaced theirs with good results, anyone have 500, 1000, 1500 miles on the new wider 5203 bearing w/o any issues?

It seems we always here from guys with problems but never hear of guys with everything working good. What is the consensus on this bearing upgrade?

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Mine's an 09, but its the same case. I would suggest you do it before it grenades.

The trackshaft lenght issue you are talking about has to do with the tunnel width/trackshaft length being slightly off and causing high side load on the gear case and bearings. This has nothing to do with the double row bearing. There is no clearance issues when upgrading.

At least that is the way I understand it.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Mine's an 09, but its the same case. I would suggest you do it before it grenades.

The trackshaft lenght issue you are talking about has to do with the tunnel width/trackshaft length being slightly off and causing high side load on the gear case and bearings. This has nothing to do with the double row bearing. There is no clearance issues when upgrading.

Yeah I have done the replacement already, just haven't had a chance to test run it since, and I'm headed out west this weekend, dont want any problems, wondering if I should go back to stcok bearing or at least bring one with just in case!

So did you replace yours, how many miles since, any issues?

I want to hear from some 2010 owners who have replaced the bearing and have had several hundred trouble free miles since!

Last edited:
N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington

That's not correct.

There may be tunnel width issues, but the 2009 and 2010 gear sets are not the same. The 6203 bearing and spacer is wider on the 2009 and previous models than it is on the 2010 models. The stock bearing and spacer on the 2010s are ~15.9 mm and the 5203 is ~17.5 mm. You will be putting a side load on the bearings on both end of the gear set if you put the 5203 bearing in the 2010 case.

There are a few threads on this already. There is a 4203 bearing that is 16 mm wide. I would suggest you go that route instead of the 5203 for 2010s. For some reason, the 4203 are tricky to find in the US. If anyone is interested, I will have a few extra of these that I will sell at my cost. If anyone has a source in the US, please let us know.

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
You will be putting a side load on the bearings on both end of the gear set if you put the 5203 bearing in the 2010 case.

That is not necessarily true either....i have put the 5203 in two 2010 m8 and had no problems. apparently it depends on how your case was machined because some guys are having problems and some are not. will have to try yourself. have the whole dd on the bench and try it. only way to find out unless you have some very precision measuring tools and methods.

just make sure you can get the cover on without having to "squish" it on.

i do agree the 4203 would probably be the best solution if you have them available to you.....seems like the cure to all problems then!

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
I have a 2010 XF 800 SP, not sure if that matters, wouldn't think so, but has anyone done this switch with success in the crossfire specifically?

I was able to get my cover plate on no prob on the bench.

After some worrying, I decided to loosen the nuts holding the gearcase to the tunnel, Istarted from the top, and it seems that when loosening the bottom two nuts the gearcase wants to pull away from the tunnel about an 1/8". This is maybe where the side loading that is being referred to is coming from. Is this a normal amount of "draw in" with other dd units as well?

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I have a 2010 Crossfire Sno Pro LE
Around 1200 miles I took my DD apart to inspect, everything looked good.

For the heck of it I installed the 5203 bearing but before doing so I had the shaft machined so the height of the 5203 would be the same at the 6203 with spacer. So at this point every thing inside the DD should be the same.
I could move the output shaft in/out the DD about .030

With the DD bolted back in the sled, track shaft bolted to the DD (still had the .030 play at this point) I then found I had to pull the track shaft down and back to get the brake caliper housing in the bolt holes so things aren't lined up perfect there.

After bolting brake to the track shaft I still had the .030 play and with the track shaft pushed all the way toward the DD I still had a very small amount of clearance between the brake housing and tunnel. I then machined about .010 each end of the track shaft. At this point with everything bolted up the output shaft should be about in the middle of that .030 range.

I put it all together and put on about 200 more miles.
Tore it apart the other day and everything still looked good inside.
No sign of anything rubbing it shouldn't, looks like the gears are all aligned

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
crjpilot,

i think your suffering from the same as many others, the tunnel is a little to narrow. might want to consider machining down your trackshaft or do as i have done, space out the brake rotor by putting a washer in between the tunnel and the rotor. in the off season i will probably machine the shaft down, but the washers are a quick fix.

that pressure of the tunnel pulling out to the case does put considerable side load on the bearings.

sounds like oldcrow got his taken care of, nice work!!

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
These threads put a lot of scare in people, made me nervous too.

I wish I would have done a little more thinking before doing what I did.
The 6203 and 5203 are line bearings and are not designed for any side load, which in theory is what is happening here.

The 6203 is sufficient, I have seen DD with many miles on them with the single row bearing.

Two easier options:
1 Install a single row thrust bearing, it will be able to handle the side load.
I would have to think about this more, it could cause other problems

2 Install a smaller/narrower shim behind the 6203. This would also remove any side load and be a lot easier than doing all the machining

M
Feb 27, 2010
itworks

i have done 6 or so this year and nothing has comeback.the wider bearing keeps the gears true under load this in turn is less heat and less wear on the gears.a must for all turbos.only one 2010 and it went together the same as the rest.we have the bearing in stock if anyone in canada needs one.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
Could you please explain why neither of these bearings are appropriate in applications that see thrust loads?

I have been taught correct application for this style bearings would in a electric motor, something that sees no axial load (correct terminology?)

The correct application for a fan or pump would require what I call a thrust bearing, correct terminology would be angular contact ball bearing

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I have been following the other thread on this issue, and am a little concerned.

I want to know who has replaced their 2010 DD bearing 6203 with a 5203 double row bearing and what have been the results? I have read about a few that had some clearance issues and needed the trackshaft trimmed or spacers behind the brake caliper, etc... to fit the new bearing.

I just replaced my stock 6203 bearing at 550 miles as precautionary measure with the wider 5203 before I head out west this weekend. Haven't had a chance to drive it since to make sure everything is alright.

Who has replaced theirs with good results, anyone have 500, 1000, 1500 miles on the new wider 5203 bearing w/o any issues?

It seems we always here from guys with problems but never hear of guys with everything working good. What is the consensus on this bearing upgrade?

I have a 2009 M8 and a 2010 HCR I phoned up BDX and bought 2.1 gears for the HCR, he pressed on the replacement wider bearing onto the new gears and when I recieved the set I simply installed the set without issues.
He also sent another updated bearing, I had it pressed on my stock set of gears and installed the same bearing into my 2009, no issues what so ever.
phone BDX they made it a completely painless issue to deal with!
BTW NEVER....NEVER had a DD issue in my life, with the new bearing and helical gears for 2009 and 2010, this will be an industructible unit!

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
actually

These threads put a lot of scare in people, made me nervous too.

I wish I would have done a little more thinking before doing what I did.
The 6203 and 5203 are line bearings and are not designed for any side load, which in theory is what is happening here.

The 6203 is sufficient, I have seen DD with many miles on them with the single row bearing.

Two easier options:
1 Install a single row thrust bearing, it will be able to handle the side load.
I would have to think about this more, it could cause other problems

2 Install a smaller/narrower shim behind the 6203. This would also remove any side load and be a lot easier than doing all the machining

The 5203 and 6203 are angular contact bearings which handle radial and axial loads. The 5203 handling it better of course!

S
Nov 3, 2009
I have a 2009 M8 and a 2010 HCR I phoned up BDX and bought 2.1 gears for the HCR, he pressed on the replacement wider bearing onto the new gears and when I recieved the set I simply installed the set without issues.
He also sent another updated bearing, I had it pressed on my stock set of gears and installed the same bearing into my 2009, no issues what so ever.
phone BDX they made it a completely painless issue to deal with!
BTW NEVER....NEVER had a DD issue in my life, with the new bearing and helical gears for 2009 and 2010, this will be an industructible unit!

The BDX gears are not he same width as the 2010 stock gears and are specifically machined to accept the larger 5203 bearing.

And from previous posts the 2010 and 2009 are different gear dimensions, so as the discussion continues, 2010's are only what we are inquiring on.

Premium Features