• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

inspecting my planetary and have a few ?'s

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Pulled the DD apart and I have the planetary out and couldn't resist trying to take it apart to better understand the issue with the brass shims between the gears. First question is do you need to pull the bearings to take the planetary apart further? I removed the large retaining ring and slipped the reverse gear off but nothing else feels like it wants to slide apart very easy...

2nd, how many of those brass shims are there supposed to be? I can see two maybe three through the holes in the gears but it does not look like there is one between every gear. I strained my fluid and did not find any brass btw so i don't think any have disintegrated yet.

I was considering the bdx bearing update but my bearings seem fine and i don't have a good line on a shop to machine down the bearing seat area. finally, i got a gasket kit that i thought was specifically for an 07' DD with some spacers that need to go in the bearing pockets, should i put it back together w/ the gasket or will the internal spacing change create problems?

thanks

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Since you have it apart, why not get the BDX bearing kit and seal kit, and do a total re-fresh. Their prices are so reasonable, its hard to justify not doing it.

Have you broken the thing down to its sub assemblies yet?

attachment.php

You should be able to take assy 27 out of 24 without issue, but I cant remember off the top of my head how to break down the planetary iteself. I think you have to pull the 6203 bearing (item 22) to break it down partially, but you cannot take it completely apart. You should do this anyway so you can clean and inspect the little torrington (23 and 25) roller bearings.

Sorry I can't be of more help, especially since I just tore mine down and put it back together just a couple days ago!

Capture.jpg

A
Mar 30, 2009
The bearings were not the issue on those DDs. The transfer gear welds break. when the small gear slips on the large gear, it grenades the planetary. Inspect the welds on this gear. (it is the gear that slides into the planetary btw). As long as these welds are not cracked, you are ok. The 09 gears are splined and pressed. This eliminated this problem. good luck.

Premium Features