• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Porting a new Power claw

S
Dec 14, 2007
North Idaho
Any one out there thought about porting your new power claw track ?? Got one sitting on the floor of the shop, waiting to go in ----thought real hard about porting it !!! ----Ran a 153 extreme track the last two years on my M-7 which was ported from the start. No problems with 1200 miles. Any views pro or con.

T

TooDeepTodd

Debating

I too have a new powerclaw sitting on the shop floor waiting on my new billets b4 i put the susp. back on. I have gone back and forth on it for a week and since it is a brand new track...I figure I will put a couple of hundred miles on it to stretch it out and then port it...ANY INPUT?:confused:

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Mine just showed up yesterday and its pretty rigid. Probably a good idea to break it in first as Todd said. Im going to use the bdx punch tool and probably just do a 2-hole pattern.

S
Dec 14, 2007
North Idaho
Porting track

That what i been thinging ---break it in and see how it hooks---then go from there......Also ran a ported track on my old Mod 800 for five years. made a big differents ----only neg is if you don't run ext. drivers. your track will jump in some deep snow low speed ( trenching , high mark turns) --pick up a few mph, maybe be cause of less trapped air in the tunnnel. ---Deep or steep===either ones is a kick:cool:

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
I may be all wet, but I decided to go ahead and port my new Power Claw. I based this, in part, on Ski Doo factory porting their single ply Challenger track. Additionally, I have ported several tracks with two 1 1/4" holes down the center with very good success.

My reasoning for just two is, less is better when it comes to porting and this combo has worked for me in getting rid of snow. I feel by using a template and drilling each hole in the same location in each section, as it relates to the other sections, minimizes excessive stretching associated with too many holes. The track is 15" wide, by placing the holes in the same location only compromises an additional 2 1/2" of the track. If one considers the single ply webbing in the track as a continuation around the track, then it would stand to reason that any single hole placed in the track would weaken that band section around the entire track. Placing holes in the same band plain minimizes track compromising. This is my opinion anyway. :rolleyes:

HPIM0097.jpg

HPIM0098.jpg

S
Dec 14, 2007
North Idaho
porting

Looks about what in did to my last two tracks----good pitures ---I found out that the higher speed the drill speed is better hole seals it self. no frayed ends.. One i use now is about 3500 rpm no load speed. some smoke but seal good looks better than factory....p.s just a slight white dusting on the mtn. this morning. hope for more!!!!!!!!

smokey:

Last edited:
W
Sep 30, 2008
I thought porting was to be done only behind the lugs ,, not in front ??

I have a new powerclaw track also ...

Just do not know weather or not to port it ??

S
Nov 27, 2008
Any one out there thought about porting your new power claw track ?? Got one sitting on the floor of the shop, waiting to go in ----thought real hard about porting it !!! ----Ran a 153 extreme track the last two years on my M-7 which was ported from the start. No problems with 1200 miles. Any views pro or con.

Why ruin a good track?

O

onesnowdawg

Dec 6, 2007
Vallecito CO
Ported my new powerclaw this afternoon with 1 1/4" BDX punch like the photos posted by Cosarguy, only I made cetrain the rear idler wheels missed the new ports as this well cause some annoying vibration. I've also heard that you don't want to port the outside. Anyone know what the recommended track tension is for the powerclaw?

D
Jan 30, 2008
ANC, AK
www.myspcace.com
Has anyone used this company -http://trackpunch.com/-. I am looking at getting a new track from Tracks USA. Was thinking of having (TU) send the track to (trackpunch) have them port it and then have (TP) send me the track. Livin up in AK, need to cut down shipping as much as possible. I would be porting a challenger 144x15x2. Good/Bad anyone ???

O

onesnowdawg

Dec 6, 2007
Vallecito CO
If it's the weight you're thinking of saving on with shipping, I bet the plugs I pulled from my 153" don't weight more than a couple pounds. Buy the tool from BDX, it's an easy job and that way you don't make the mistake of having someone else port it incorrectly.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You should be allright porting, Not more than two holes inbetween crossbars, Look at the skidoo's and Polaris they have one rectanguar one down the ctr. The more pliable it is the less amount of resistance to turn, And on the M's with the narrow tunnel side clearance it gives air somewhere else to go. Just a big squirrel cage fan! I noticed at the AC dealer with one one a test sled, The outer edge had many cords exposed, Like it was rubbing on the tunnel?

Mike

D
Jan 30, 2008
ANC, AK
www.myspcace.com
Has anyone used this company -http://trackpunch.com/-. I am looking at getting a new track from Tracks USA. Was thinking of having (TU) send the track to (trackpunch) have them port it and then have (TP) send me the track. Livin up in AK, need to cut down shipping as much as possible. I would be porting a challenger 144x15x2. Good/Bad anyone ???

Wasn't concerned about weight. Didn't wanna have TU send me the track in AK then send back down to Lower 48 to TP then have them port it and send back to me in AK. I emailed TrackPunch, still waiting on a response.

Premium Features