• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2025 Rumors

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
The only thing the 9R has proven is that it's here for a good time, not a long time. 9K in warranty work after 1800kms last year. I don't know anyone that rips with a high mileage virgin 9R...
I was talking about carls 900 they’ve been building since the 850 came out. I only know of one I have built I sold it to a friend it has 2,000 miles with no issues. Not sure on durability of 9R I quit trying to run a sled past 1,000 miles.
Just from experience durability and performance rarely go together.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Polaris ought to pause R&D and fix their product pipeline processes for 2025. Take the medicine now. It does your brand no good to release product that constantly needs recalls/warranty if your goal is to make a profit.

They need their warranty rate to significantly drop in the mountain category first, then they can start releasing cool cutting edge stuff again. They have far and away the most capable chassis on snow. Just make everything more durable, work out the kinks, cut SKUs and they'll be in a much better place.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Hopefully that includes making the reverse work reliably and not having to unplug the fuel pump because of the motor flooding.

Both of those things tend to happen at the worst time. I swear the sled can tell when I'm about to go down a steep hill or it's clutch side is pinned up against a tree

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Hopefully that includes making the reverse work reliably and not having to unplug the fuel pump because of the motor flooding.

Both of those things tend to happen at the worst time. I swear the sled can tell when I'm about to go down a steep hill or it's clutch side is pinned up against a tree
I've never had issues with reverse on any of my Polaris sleds. And the flooding issue doesn't require disconnecting the fuel pump. All you have to do is hold the throttle wide open while you pull, which puts the ecu into "clear flood mode." It does take 10-20 pulls to clear it, but it works like a charm. I haven't had to do that on anything newer than about a 2017 though.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I've never had issues with reverse on any of my Polaris sleds. And the flooding issue doesn't require disconnecting the fuel pump. All you have to do is hold the throttle wide open while you pull, which puts the ecu into "clear flood mode." It does take 10-20 pulls to clear it, but it works like a charm. I haven't had to do that on anything newer than about a 2017 though.

Interesting. I tried it under WOT and never had success but definitely gave up before 20 pulls. Works first time every time with the wiring harness unplugged. Never had the issue until after the fuel pump recall. Dealer said it wasn't something Polaris had a fix for

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Interesting. I tried it under WOT and never had success but definitely gave up before 20 pulls. Works first time every time with the wiring harness unplugged. Never had the issue until after the fuel pump recall. Dealer said it wasn't something Polaris had a fix for
My dad called me once several years ago saying he couldn't get his sled (800 Axys) started, and it was very flooded. Him and my uncle had spent half the day trying to get it going, including a trip to the dealer in West Yellowstone, and they couldn't figure it out. I found this info on this forum somewhere, called him back, and they had it started in 30 seconds.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I'd like to experience a very well tuned pump gas boost. So far they all just feel heavy (in the front end) and sluggish in the lower RPMs compared to the 9R or even 850NA.

You're right that many of the 9R's current attributes would be diluted if a turbo gets added. Reducing compression and adding weight to the crank, etc. would probably make the system less functional.

Really there is no unicorn sled. Every one of them has downsides. Boost is heavy and has poor low end response. 9R is light but doesn't pull past 35mph track speed.
My silber tuned/cns clutched boost flat rips from the bottom especially on braaap. 2 guys with gen 5 skidoo turbos rode my sled and said the turbo lag was similar to their sleds…nonexistent. The front heavy feel seemed to go away as well.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
My silber tuned/cns clutched boost flat rips from the bottom especially on braaap. 2 guys with gen 5 skidoo turbos rode my sled and said the turbo lag was similar to their sleds…nonexistent. The front heavy feel seemed to go away as well.
Sweet! Maybe we can connect sometime for a rip in the cowboy state.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
What year sled?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So what! Most guys would love a 900 Boost if it's peak power was on par with the 850 Boost BUT it had way more torque and revved way quicker. Let the aftermarket tune it for more power and take the risk of blowing it up.
Make it not bog, have skidoo like bottom end and it should have all the bugs worked out. Nothing worse then a sled that bogs, in deep snow. And you need to work on all the time.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Iv rode a 24 boost for 9 hour this year, I know how they run. I do own a gen5 turbo, but my 2 very close friends have multiple sleds and brands to choose from. So iv rode them all in all snow conditions.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
On the topic of Gen5 turbo vs. boost, it does occur to me that the doo turbo has a more balanced feel (heavy front to back) while the poo feels front heavy because the matryx is lighter overall and the added weight of the boost power plant is more obvious.

So, either poo needs to make the front end lighter (engine/chassis/etc) or make the back end heavier to avoid the boat anchor sensations. :rolleyes:

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
On the topic of Gen5 turbo vs. boost, it does occur to me that the doo turbo has a more balanced feel (heavy front to back) while the poo feels front heavy because the matryx is lighter overall and the added weight of the boost power plant is more obvious.

So, either poo needs to make the front end lighter (engine/chassis/etc) or make the back end heavier to avoid the boat anchor sensations. :rolleyes:

Its not the added weight of the boost power plant you feel. Its how slowly it transfers weight and how hard it is to move some of the weight from the skis to the track in a static state. One big reason the Doo feels more balanced is the throttle response is just flat better on their motor/turbo package. It moves weight front to back ridiculously fast.

The irony is Doo (still) has a terrible chassis for what I like to do, so Polaris has me by the balls.

I'd literally kill to work in their engineering team. So many fun problems to solve

Premium Features