• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This is SnoWest?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Wide open to suggestions
Step 1. Remove 90% of the sub forums.
Step 2.... there is no step 2, thats it.

This is a SNOWMOBILE forum, everyone that comes on here has a sled (or very few snow bikes) and there is only 4 sled manufactures. Its insane to have 200ish? sub-forums. Its the middle of winter and the most popular sub-forums dont even get 10 new posts a day.

This place is dying FAST!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com

This is a SNOWMOBILE forum, everyone that comes on here has a sled (or very few snow bikes) and there is only 4 sled manufactures. Its insane to have 200ish? sub-forums. Its the middle of winter and the most popular sub-forums dont even get 10 new posts a day.

I’m almost ok with this. I’d still separate new chassis versus everything old.
And by this I mean take all Procross/Proclimb chassis 2012 to current and put them together.
Everything older gets to share their own sub. When a new chassis(an actual chassis, not plastic changes) comes out it gets a new sub and the PC gets tossed with the rest of the “older” stuff.

There’s a sub that hasn’t been used or rarely used? Discard or condense with others.

I kinda like the swap. Hard to beat how it’s setup. Altho some sort of integration or even just mimicking FB marketplace would be outstanding.
I never go to Kijiji or craigslist anymore because I find all the same stuff on Marketplace.

As for the sponsor sections and that jazz....if I’ve went in one of those sub’s, it’s because I’ve accidentally clicked on it. Absolutely a non-starter for me.
What would work better is an integrated messenger system for those sponsors. DM’s are too easy nowadays. Twitter, IG, FB.....it’s so easy to talk to these companies nowadays, instant gratification when you send those messages. Not so much on the forum. I know you can PM, but that’s more like an email. Even tho it works just the same, perception is that it’s a quicker and straighter line by DM. It’s a head scratcher no doubt, however like I said, it’s perception that matters.
Nike pays pennies to get shoes and shirts made, but they give Kapperdick a platform to be a baby and nobody even bats an eye as to the double entendre that’s going on. Perception is everything.

I’d also be full-time on social platforms. It’s basically a full time job pumping out content and building a fan base. It’s hard, I know, I have multiple irons in the fire and all are doing “okay” whereas if I had one project to focus on I could blow my social up. I just don’t have the time to be that organized and that engaging to build up the audience I want.

What I have learned by managing a race team page, business pages, non-profit page etc is that people don’t want another advertisement for what you’re selling. They want content they can like and comment on. My family shop almost never gets a post about deals or sales. It’s about fun content and a heads up on holiday hours. That’s it. When I changed my thinking to focus on that alone, the likes maybe didn’t skyrocket, but the DM’s certainly did. With similar numbers in likes my DM’s went up from once a day or two to getting 5-10 everyday. The hook is the content, the landing page is the line, and the interaction is the reel. The money? Well that’s the live well.

I’ve rambled on and off topic here. To give me full feelings about what this place could do is the same as I did for Snowtech one year. I was supposed to be a guest editor, so KB told me to go over the latest edition I had and tell him what could be done differently. I ripped his magazine a new a-hole and went over every page and what I would do different.
I doubt he go thru my entire email to him because I got a very curt “f-off and never speak to us again” one sentence email back.
I mean, when talking snocross game changers, don’t write a full two page article on Blair Morgan and have a photo of The Flying Finn and not once mention him or put a caption on the photo. I mean that article gave BM all the credit for the Rev when in reality all he did was race it. They already had it, he just made it famous. But nobody remembers that, they all think Blair designed the damn thing himself.

Oh I could go on and on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'll second the motion to consolidate. Way too much knowledge here to split it up so heavily. A guy buys a new model and then only looks at that model forum, when they happen to know a ton about the 3 previous designs and could be a lot of help to the people that still own them.

examples
axys 850 doesn't need to be separate from the axys forum
Ascender is not a new chassis, it's a new motor and rail

C
Nov 29, 2008
I'll second the motion to consolidate. Way too much knowledge here to split it up so heavily. A guy buys a new model and then only looks at that model forum, when they happen to know a ton about the 3 previous designs and could be a lot of help to the people that still own them.

examples
axys 850 doesn't need to be separate from the axys forum
Ascender is not a new chassis, it's a new motor and rail
Xs2

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
That kills me. Unless Christopher is getting money from the OEM’s to have subs split the way they are. I can see from a marketing point of view that they would want it that way. But unless they are paying them bills....fawk em! You need traffic to survive, and if they aren’t keeping you afloat with cold hard cash then the OEM’s can have an opinion, but not the final say.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That kills me. Unless Christopher is getting money from the OEM’s to have subs split the way they are. I can see from a marketing point of view that they would want it that way. But unless they are paying them bills....fawk em! You need traffic to survive, and if they aren’t keeping you afloat with cold hard cash then the OEM’s can have an opinion, but not the final say.

It was done at the request of users.
It makes sense both ways if traffic dictates. Traffic on the older sleds has slowed so much that i agree with the above post. 2 most current models have their own forum and older should combine

Sent it

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
That was when there was so much traffic it was hard to find things. Some sub forums have posts dating back 3-4years on the main page.
Just a matter of going with the flow and adjusting for the times.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Each day the forum tallies up...
Total Number of Views per Post.
Total Number of Replies per post
Total number of Reactions per post.

Those three things then determine the TOP POSTS for the day and the week.
Those numbers are 100% member driven.

What would you have me change??

Thanks for the explanation on the numbers.
As I said in my opening post, you invited interesting posts as a solution, and this one is rolling along. Maybe not like an alpha thread but more active than the entire deep powder forum. Not bad, eh?

I don't have anything specific but the people suggesting a more confined arena by fewer subforums may be onto something. Meantime, I will watch this thread and my G4 echo chamber.
By the way, not picking on you Christopher, just succeeding at get people going,
We have people posting that haven't recently.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
@christopher I obviously don't know what the capabilities are, of the forum software. Just throwing an idea out here.

Could we somehow get the average posts per year of each sub-forum, for say the last 10 years (for example). Then at that point, figure out a reasonable number for the minimum posts per year (average). Once a sub-forum drops below that average, then it gets lumped in with all the other "old sleds."

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What a buncha whiners. One starts and y’all join in just like a pack of hyenas. Haha

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

THe Sub Forums were only created because members were asking me to make it easier to find SPECIFIC INFORMATION.
If the members today no longer want what the members of yesterday wanted, I am fine with consolidating forums.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Christopher doesn't get a SINGLE CENT from any Advertisers or Sponsors.
Every penny I get comes from a portion membership fees only

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
@christopher I obviously don't know what the capabilities are, of the forum software. Just throwing an idea out here.

Could we somehow get the average posts per year of each sub-forum, for say the last 10 years (for example). Then at that point, figure out a reasonable number for the minimum posts per year (average). Once a sub-forum drops below that average, then it gets lumped in with all the other "old sleds."
We don't need to go to those levels.
If the ACTIVE POSTING members of SNOWEST, by and large, want me to CONSOLIDATE the forums, then I am all for it.

What we will have to establish is that the MAJORITY OF MEMBERS really do want that to happen.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Time for a poll.
Not like the dark light poll that doesn't reach many users but a large scale, send to everyone type of poll. (Not to be confused with pole)....

Sent it

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Bro you come across as if we are harping you or picking sides in a battle. The whole font thing and coming across agro doesn’t do it for me.
I don’t care if you make money or not, I was trying to understand why the forum hasn’t morphed as the landscape changed. That was the first thing I thought of. I’m not trying to acuse you of anything, and the tone and emphasis you put into your replies makes it feel as tho you think we are.

Maybe I’m too tired to be up having this conversation.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
We don't need to go to those levels.
If the ACTIVE POSTING members of SNOWEST, by and large, want me to CONSOLIDATE the forums, then I am all for it.

What we will have to establish is that the MAJORITY OF MEMBERS really do want that to happen.

Well you got em all in one thread. Let’s settle this here. Lol

Premium Features