• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should have done the Grade 8 motor mount bolt upgrade....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So anyways ...

Yeah.

Looks like a great start to a wonderful season of trouble-fee 900 rmk riding :(

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

I think I might be able to drill into the remaining peice of bolt and use a reverse-thread easy-out to get them out of there.

How many more motor mount bolts do I need to replace with Grade 8 bolts, and does the motor have to come all the way out in order to do this?

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Well if you only do the 4 for the mounting bar across the bottom and or the rear mounts then no it doesn't need to come out. Did you do the 2 fronts when you did the compfusion mounts?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
That sucks dude! I never put a cheap azz stock bolt back in. I have a coffe can full of the ones I pulled out. Polaris uses the cheapest fasteners in the world!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Well if you only do the 4 for the mounting bar across the bottom and or the rear mounts then no it doesn't need to come out. Did you do the 2 fronts when you did the compfusion mounts?

No, all 4 are grade 5 instead of grade 8. I will replace them if I can get this f*cking clutch off.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Welp. Motor is going to have to come out. I can't get the bolts out.

Anyone wanna buy my 900 RMK from me as-is for $4,000?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Keep the faith my friend.

Broken bolts in the front cross are a real PITA... I've had to replace 2 of them because I couldnt get the bolts out...

Try heating it with a propane torch first.... to release the red loctite the factory uses.

Leave the motor in for now..... until you get the clutch off.

Use the heat trick on the fixed shieve when you are pulling it off...

Rons post at the top of the IQ section on the P-85 might give you some good ideas on getting it off.

As for Grade 8 bolts... the 4 that hold the cross bar to the chassis, the 2 that hold the front motor mounts to the block, the two for the rear motor mounts

Double check to see that the mounts are in good shape and not split need to remove them for this inspection, put them in a vise and lean them to the side with a big screwdriver.

Check the front crossmember for the mounts for cracking

Good luck

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, got the primary off. Teflon tape FTW .... heh :)

I could not get the bolts out of the crossmember.

I will take it to a machine shop and see if they can get them out without destroying the crossmember.

This could not hav possibly come at a worse time seeing as how I got evicted from the house I'm currently living in and the sled has the whole front end torn apart right now :(

I will just come-along it back into the trailer once I get the a-arms back on ...

I'm trying to close on a house next week some time since I have to be out of this house by the 20th, so buying a new sled right now is not an option ...

Guess if I have to pull the motor and re-do all this myself that's the way it's gonna be.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Same exact thing happen on my sled, One bolt snapped and the other shook out. I was lucky my primary come off really easy. I was able to get it all done in about 3 hours. I didn't take the motor completely out I just lifted it and tilted it back enought to get the cross mount out and check them over. I was lucky and able to reuse my mount.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Sometimes it is cheaper to get a new cross member... about $60... prob same cost as the machine shop.

Just a thought.

I've been in the rush before as well with moving.

If you have the ability to take the sled/parts to a storage unit or friends garage for a month or so... this will give you time to breath a bit and put it back together the right way.

If I can help... drop me a PM..

I'm sure the "clean your clutch" comment didn't go over as intended given your level of frustration.

Good luck with the project.
MH

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Sometimes it is cheaper to get a new cross member... about $60... prob same cost as the machine shop.

Just a thought.

I've been in the rush before as well with moving.

If you have the ability to take the sled/parts to a storage unit or friends garage for a month or so... this will give you time to breath a bit and put it back together the right way.

If I can help... drop me a PM..

I'm sure the "clean your clutch" comment didn't go over as intended given your level of frustration.

Good luck with the project.
MH

No, I knew I needed to clean it .... I was planning on putting 70g weights in it to see how those worked anyways, so it was gonna get cleaned one way or the other before this season ...

I have to be out of this house in two weeks, I guess if I put my mind to it I can yank the motor and have it back together by then. I'll call Carl's and have them re-instate my order I cancelled today for the a-arms only tell them to add a new crossmember in.

BTW, you can't pull the motor without pulling the fuel tank due to the injectors, right?

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
No, I knew I needed to clean it .... I was planning on putting 70g weights in it to see how those worked anyways, so it was gonna get cleaned one way or the other before this season ...

I have to be out of this house in two weeks, I guess if I put my mind to it I can yank the motor and have it back together by then. I'll call Carl's and have them re-instate my order I cancelled today for the a-arms only tell them to add a new crossmember in.

BTW, you can't pull the motor without pulling the fuel tank due to the injectors, right?

With a engine host it's possible to change the crossmember, but it's a P.I.T.A.

Yes, remove fuel tank. you do a much better job of checking over the other stuff with the motor out.

KSH

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Motor

Yeah unfortunatly you will you need to remove the fuel tank to unplug the injectors as well as the stator wires. You might be able to lift the engine high enough to remove the front cross member without unplugging everything.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

You have to pull the tank first, there are way too many wires tucked up in there to be able to reach from the front side. Tha tank is actually very easy to pull, just need a fuel line disconnector tool and a it all comes right out...

Good luck with your project:beer;

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
What a coinsidince, not to enter a 900 thread but I took my new d8 163 out of the crate wed did the update and then it took some time but traced mt Horses thread on replacing the front pto mount bolt, ordered 5 from Summit ( ouch 35.00 freight and all) but 4 of my buds will suffer the pain when I charge em, good luck and I'll flat guarantee you will forget all this the first powder run next season

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Boy! that looks all too familiar. ive broken so many of those bolts. when i had one stuck in there i actually drilled it out then stuck a helicoil in it with a bigger grade 8 bolt. if you are very careful it works great.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Welp. Motor is going to have to come out. I can't get the bolts out.

Anyone wanna buy my 900 RMK from me as-is for $4,000?

Not again... man, I hate reading your posts. ;)

I'm tempted to take up a donation drive so we can get rid of your 900 and get you on something else just so your life will improve. :)

It sucks finding new issues when you think you've got them all taken care of.

sled_guy

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming

MH

This might be the better option as a heads up i just paid $52 to get 1 intake bolt out of my engine from the machine shop....I mean dont get me wrong, I would pay that in a heart beat any day to have it done right, plus mine was a bolt in the engine so unless I wanted to buy another engine...but you get the point..Just given you a heads up on costs...

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Ps thanks for posting this as my engine will be getting every grade 8 bolt that I can replace in there...

Anyone think that the red loctite is overkill for these bolts..maybe blue????

Premium Features