• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Floating..HOW!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i have a 2005 rmk 900 166..:D

i have been hearing some folks saying to float there secondary clutch to prevent blown belts amungest other things..

The only thing i could tell to make it "float" is to remove the washer/spacers between the clutch and the chassis..:confused:

1. is that all you have to remove
2. how do you know if you removed enough or too many..i only have 1 spacer behind mine
3. is this something i SHOULD do on my 900 and my wifes 06 700.
4. whats the full benifits from doing this

Thanks as always everyone..:beer;

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
the float is the amount the secondary moves back and forth on the shaft. i usually just ad a couple of washers under the bolt that holds the clutch on to give it a bit more play.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
BIGGDAWG
THANKS FOR THE REPLY...could you specify al little more for me if you dont mind..
is there a desired amount of play..and if you added washers, would that "tighten it up" not loosen the play??
whats the main reason to do this..is it just for belt life or is there more benefits..

thanks buddy, appreciate it.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You are correct.

Float as defined in the Polaris RMK arena is to allow the secondary to "slide" on the splined shaft.

As the primary engages the belt does not quite stay in the original center line ... although in theory it should stay at centerline.

Plus ... maybe a little chassis torquing or flux from thermodynamic warping is compensated by the secondary float. But this is more than splittin hairs.

Don't take off all the washers. I had 4 washers on the secondary and removed two (2) washers.

I also greased the shaft a little but don't think it made much difference in the long run unless I greased it up at every gas fill up.
So I sprayed a dry lube base coat on it.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Donbrown,
beautiful, makes perfect sense..thank you much..you have helped me quite a few times on here..so thanks..same to you biggdawg..

like i said i have 1 washer on my 900..i have yet to check my wifes 06 700..but i will limit hers to 2 of them max..

thanks again fellas..

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
Having a bit of float on the secondary also keeps the jackshaft PTO bearing from becoming side-loaded. That bearing is not designed for side load, so it's important to not have the clutch tight against the bearing.

I remember the 05 900 had a lot of problems with weak motor mounts, as the big engine flexed the mounts failed, making belt life a matter of hours instead of seasons. Getting the engine planted with good mounts and a torque link and/or push stop seemed to help belt life. Can't hurt to check your engine mounts...

Premium Features