• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DynoTech on the Poo 800-Some thoughts

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I've been following the reports & comments on the DynoTech blog & HCS. Some folks put way too much weight on dyno reports but I thought that Jim did a nice job & gave an honest report. Even fessed up to a burn down during the process. It looks like the Polaris 8 makes the advertised HP even though it took some help from a Polaris tech & good fuel. With low Octane fuel the sled made 145 HP & the second day they got it to 153. Some of my observations:
1. Good fuel is key to making HP-DT discovered that they had some bad fuel even though it was supposed to be 93 octane. With Ethanol on the rise & questionable fuel it's going to be a struggle to maintain peak performance.
2. Pipe temp isn't mentioned but the P 800 fuel map requires a hot exhaust to reach peak HP. The first dyno (last year) by Extreme in CO was low on HP but they ran with a cold pipe. Later Extreme gained HP when they tested with a hot pipe.
3. DT ran slightly lower coolant temps the second day, still not clear on cooling & they leaned the fuel mix using power commander. Assume that the fuel map is still on the rich side at that elevation.
4. They are testing several A.Mkt pipes but remember that DT is near sea level so a high elevation pipe like the SLP may not shine.
5. Why test 87 octane?, an Ethanol test would have been more appropriate. Then there's oxygenated fuel mandates in some areas. How do you know what you bought at the pump?
6. Octane decreases about a point per 1000' rise in elevation according to a Chevron friend. It is rated at the source so fuel shipped from sea level may show 93 octane yet be the equivalent of fuel from a higher elevation rated at 91. Are we going to need our own octane tester? Carry an octane booster?
The fact that DT spent 2 days on the dyno gives some indication of the complexity of the process, leaving room for variation in results. And the sled is not in the snow in real world operating conditions. Ambient temp, air density & adjustment for elevation are some other "estimates" that make dyno comparo's subject to interpretation.
I can't believe the posts on HCS-some folks making a buying decision based on dyno numbers. Lest we forget, clutching, track, & HP at the track are kinda important.

Here is Jim's post from HCS.
Just got home after 12 hours at the dyno. Not done just yet. As you guys have heard while watching the dynocams we had issues with detonation. Casey and his Dad and brother are heading home tow hours to Jamestown. Casey's sled is still on the table.

This is a hugely powerful 800 twin. Joe DiSpirito just autopsied their first dragon 800, and after degreeing/ measuring ports concluded that if he were building a full race 800 twin this is the port timing/ size he would use. It's all done.

So here we are, with piss 87 octane gas, and this engine is pumping 110 lb/hr fuel flow. No sign of knock either on the Digital Wrench Polaris diagnostic software, or my dandy copper tube bolted to the thermostat housing! 110 lb/hr = .80 BSFC and 145 HP. I dont care how you do the math this is the best HP possible out of a 800 twin with 110 lb/hr fuel flow.

With 87 octane, we tried sLP and BMP pipe mods, both detonated and had timing yanked into the cellar, no HP. So our pal Don Heale (White Lake Polaris dealer) bought us a jug of Sunoco 93. Better, but still some knock that yanked timing excessively. It was so bad, we unplugged the deto sensor and depended on the rattling copper tube to keep us safe. We made 157 with the BMP pipe mod, 150 with SLP single, 157 w/ SLP w/ Exxtreme pipe mod, with a few rattles along the way. Then being greedy and dumb, looking for 160, I used the Power Commander to tweak fuel lower with the Stock pipe BMP mod, and in midrange I heard 12 deto clicks and stopped the test at 7800 but it was too late. Wafted piston, but cylinder OK. Next time I will stop the test at 6 clicks!

Back at it with fresh parts, we used the Power Commander to lean down fuel flow with stock pipe, got to 152-3 HP with a few clicks at maybe 85 lb/hr on even newer 93 octane., but now we have an 1/8th inch thick nylon spacer between the knock sensor and head.

We stopped there, some anonymous Polaris tech support will be here tomorrow so we can assess this situation. Thank you guys who have been bugging Polaris about this today. The engine is very excellent--we just have to figure out these details to get all those nasty active radicals to mellow out and let us have some fun.

And you guys owe a thank you to Casey- Team Bayport for blowing off another day of work (and another tomorrow) to help you guys maximize your enjoyment of this sled. He's probably just getting home now as I post this.

Post from DT Blog:
10/1 AM Casey Mulkin production 09 dragon 800, pipe mods, SLP single, etc my brain is shot after 12 hours of testing changing swapping stuff. This is a hugely powerful engine, but it has been detonating easily, and when it does the ECM seems to overcompensate. Casey's sled baselined at 145, leaned out with Power Commander to 152ish but on the edge of rattling the ECU to big retard. Polaris technical people are flying in tomorrow, cams off, I need to show them what is happening here, maybe changes are in store...
10/2 Casey day 2--another 12 hour session, this one much more enjoyable, excellent technical support provided by Darren Hedlund of Polaris Engineering, finally were able to increase HP knock-free by operating at slightly lower coolant temps (increased airflow and reduced active radicals), monitored pipe backpressure, with what appeared to be real 93 octane gas (we were surely boned yesterday by rattling fake 93 Sunoco)...we tuned fuel down to 153hp with Power Commander, then were able to add custom exhaust parts and further fuel tuning to over 162HP, limited there by the octane of the fuel. 50 plus dyno tests to review with Casey, will try to compile that information this weekend, including four single pipes and the actual PCIII numbers we used to optimize fuel flow for each combination.

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I don't rely on that dude for info as he does alot of his testing with stock and then a BMP pipe modded pipe right after and promote them as being the best bang for the buck out there, what a joke. I'll buy a Polaris anyday as what they've advertised lately works in the real world.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
sounds like a healthy engine spec wise just mabey needs a little better info in his brain mabey a couple of re-maps later and all will be good not that its not good now
Thanks Ron and if possible could you post any new developments on this topic

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
great post again ron, sounds like polaris needs to work on both the programming as well as maybe a little chamber reshaping..but the good thing is it sounds like polaris learned some valuable info that should trickle back to us average peeps...I havent looked but do you know if the pistons are coated or not nowdays ron? that wouldnt cure it but would help a small bit with hotspots...as said above would love to hear updates on this..thanks again ron...mike

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
The tops look uncoated on the pistons, side probably graphite coating for break in. I purchased the hitemp coating from a speed shop in Texas years ago & used to coat every set of pistons, head & sometimes the inside of the Y pipe. The coating dried up & I've been too lazy to pursue a replacement. Lots of shops doing it now but I don't know....the computer might not let you get enough deto anyway. Always wondered why the factories don't coat everything?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
The tops look uncoated on the pistons, side probably graphite coating for break in. I purchased the hitemp coating from a speed shop in Texas years ago & used to coat every set of pistons, head & sometimes the inside of the Y pipe. The coating dried up & I've been too lazy to pursue a replacement. Lots of shops doing it now but I don't know....the computer might not let you get enough deto anyway. Always wondered why the factories don't coat everything?

I think it is a cost deal ron..on our bigblock nitrous motors I would order semi finished billet pistons from BME at 16.1 to 1 comp. then when I got them we would contour the dome to fit the big brodie cylinder chamber then ship off to have pistons coated both top and sides...it averaged about 40 bucks a piston when all done..add the coating price to a 125.00 ea. billet semi finished piston plus my time to finish contour and you would spend some money..and while coatings do help..if you lean up enough to get into trouble ..you squeek her..we were dumping so much sause(2 500 hp foggers) that if everything wasnt perfect..you just spent 2500 for 3 secs of fire....

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
They mentioned using a power commander. Yet Power commander has no listing for the d8. Any ideas how they are making that work? I'm not one for performance add-on these days, but that would be a nice tool for fine tuning.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
^^^^^^^^^^
It was a proto-type Power Commander made for the Dragon 800. Production box should be available to the public soon.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ron,

Lets get one of Jacks 860's on that Dyno.... I know he hates to see Dyno numbers...

BUT

Inquiring minds want to know... rumor has it that Hedlunds 860 spent some time on the Dyno.... I'd luv to see those numbers

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Cat buddy just called and gave me a hard time about this DynoTech deal..

"the 09's are crap".... blah, blah, blah...

Says he has a buddy that is gonna give his up and give up the $500 deposit. Nothing like jumping the gun a bit....

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Ron,

Lets get one of Jacks 860's on that Dyno.... I know he hates to see Dyno numbers...

BUT

Inquiring minds want to know... rumor has it that Hedlunds 860 spent some time on the Dyno.... I'd luv to see those numbers

Remind's me of a story about one of Jack's 910's & a big PSI with huge dyno #'s. The PSI was in a Crazy Mtn, 50#'s lighter, 30% more displacement, about 40 more ponies, tons more torque. Kalhamer & co spent days clutching & tweaking the PSI but it kept getting spanked by the 910. The next year the Crazy Mtn had a 910 in it.

IMO most dyno results are for marketing something to us sledders. Jack doesn't play that game-his mods do the talking. I'm guessing that too many dyno results are exagerated or best case results and not what will run trouble free.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Dyno numbers are for bench racing and bench racing only One dyno can say 155 the other 145?

Ive seen it with my mustang a few times going to different dyno days one dyno made me feel all fuzy inside with just under 400 to the wheels on just motor the next 375 just a few days later

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
Ron thanks for spreading the news. The pipes I'm including in my DTR report today are all going out to Exxtreme Bill for testing at 6500ft. He's got software to monitor pipe temp, and he surely will run them as hot as we did.

The Power Commander we tuned with is a prototype, with OEM style ECU plugin. After my testing was positive (a delight to tune with and dead nuts accurate), they are going to begin production. We're just trying to home in on ideal RPM steps to be easiest for precise dyno tuning, but not too cumbersome for field tuning. Stay tuned.

And this why we really need to test stockers on 87 octane...

http://www.dynotechresearch.com/blog/archives.asp?chosenMonth=2&chosenYear=2008#205

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ron,

For the same reasons that you found the results from Jim on this dyno run interesting engough to make this thread...for the stocker and the other minor mods ...it would be cool to see an 860 on the dyno...

I know that Jack has had a long time position on NOT testing his mods on dynos... doesn't keep someone else from doing it. :face-icon-small-sho

I'm pretty sure that Darren ran his 860 from Jack on a dyno... I'd really like to see those numbers... especially compared to the stocker..

Just curious is all

Lest we forget, clutching, track, & HP at the track are kinda important.

Couldnt agree more.... plus HOW the engine makes power (peaky, flat spots, lack of bottom end etc) is a big thing as well... Peak power is what most people seem to bite on, but doesnt mean squat if the setup cant put the power to the track.

All of the reports that I've heard on Jacks new setups from people I trust is that his stuff plain rocks, and is field tested to give the customer the same repeatable results...

I also like that Jack has changed his philosophy away from requiring race gas in his setups... (it would be fun however to ride the couple of setup 840/860's Cfi's with Race twins and race gas that he built up)

Remind's me of a story about one of Jack's 910's & a big PSI with huge dyno #'s. The PSI was in a Crazy Mtn, 50#'s lighter, 30% more displacement, about 40 more ponies, tons more torque. Kalhamer & co spent days clutching & tweaking the PSI but it kept getting spanked by the 910. The next year the Crazy Mtn had a 910 in it.

IMO most dyno results are for marketing something to us sledders. Jack doesn't play that game-his mods do the talking. I'm guessing that too many dyno results are exagerated or best case results and not what will run trouble free.

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Eric,

Didn't mean that it wouldn't be interesting info, just looking at it from the other point of view. Carl's has nothing to gain from dyno info unless they play the mine's bigger than your's game. Unfortunately hype wins out over truth too often in sales of mods. Hell, there are people that are going to switch brands because of dyno numbers about which they don't have a clue. Even the factories give out incorrect numbers-Doo & Poo to name two. The engine may dyno at a stated number but is then detuned for reliability. Some play the game others don't!

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Excellent points by Ron and Mountainhorse as usual. :beer;

Cat buddy just called and gave me a hard time about this DynoTech deal..

"the 09's are crap".... blah, blah, blah...

Says he has a buddy that is gonna give his up and give up the $500 deposit. Nothing like jumping the gun a bit....

He obviously didn't read the part where you can get 153HP just by leaning out the fuel mixture and with a cooling mod to make the motor run a little cooler. Who knows if the RMK's will even need the extra cooling?

Where did he snowcheck at, Motoplex? Maybe his sled will still be there at the end of the winter so I can buy it. :D

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Where did he snowcheck at, Motoplex? Maybe his sled will still be there at the end of the winter so I can buy it. :D

No somewhere in ND I believe. Speaking of the rip off Plex.. they have a brand new 08' Dragon 800 sitting on the floor, right next to an 09'. Kind of nice for comparison;)

Premium Features