• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you tell if you have updated crank and big bearing kit?

jrcactus

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Winfield BC
I bought a 2003 800 Escape a few years ago and i am replacing the top end since it's due, I know the bottom end usually the problem but how can you determine if the updates were ever done?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
IF and I say IF it was done right then the oil galley from the PTO cylinder down to the bearing has been drilled.

But to truly know you need to pull it apart.

Have you checked the run out?

sled_guy

jrcactus

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Winfield BC
I ended up getting a rebuilt with the updated done so just a matter of splitting the case a do a swap, when you say " run out" can you elaberate a bit more? And also as far as drilling out the oil gally is this something I can do myself? I have read about it but not sure if a machine shop has to do it?

Last edited:
B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
You need a dial indicator and a stable base to put it on. The runout is the amount that the crank is out of round. After removing the clutch, the crank is rotated and the total difference between the high spot and the low spot on the PTO end of the crank is the runout. Usually, the PTO end is checked, but you can check both ends (recoil and flywheel have to be removed from the mag side of the engine). If runout exceeds spec, it's an indication that the crank is going south, usually because of bad cases. It's not always 100%, you can have runout within spec and still break the crank. Most failures are on the PTO side, hardly anyone breaks the MAG side.

It does take a good dial indicator, and not all shops have access to one.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What BCDan said...

You can drill the oil passage yourself.

If you bought a crank you ought to have the cases checked too, they are often packed out and need work.

sled_guy

Premium Features