• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Rev XP Clutch Belt issues

K
Jan 24, 2008
Does anyone know if they have ever fully addressed the clutch belt issue. I bought one and a friend of mine says you need to spend $700 on a team secondary clutch to get it right. I dont want to spend that kind of money on that problem. Has anyone held skidoos feet to the fire yet and got a favorable result on the clutch? Or does anyone know any mods besides a team clutch to fix the problem. Things that have been done so far to get it right that havent worked yet. Changed the gearing to 21T gear. Installed 160/260 spring in primary. The service center also cleaned the pins. The thing they lacked was putting in the 377 belt. They were out and put in the stock 166 belt. Any input would be appreciated. Erik

Alignment of the engine is required on some of the belt eaters, including enlargement of the engine mounting holes to allow correct adjustment. There is also a shim kit being marketed here and on dootalk to accomplish the same fix for misalignment. I musta got a good one as mine has never used a belt yet!

R
Nov 27, 2007
New England
Does anyone know if they have ever fully addressed the clutch belt issue. I bought one and a friend of mine says you need to spend $700 on a team secondary clutch to get it right. I dont want to spend that kind of money on that problem. Has anyone held skidoos feet to the fire yet and got a favorable result on the clutch? Or does anyone know any mods besides a team clutch to fix the problem. Things that have been done so far to get it right that havent worked yet. Changed the gearing to 21T gear. Installed 160/260 spring in primary. The service center also cleaned the pins. The thing they lacked was putting in the 377 belt. They were out and put in the stock 166 belt. Any input would be appreciated. Erik

Hey Erik,

BRP has not and will not address the belt issue on the 08's. Sucks but true. No need to switch to a team set-up. I put together a kit that gets things in alignment. As noted you can REMOVE the motor and slot the engine mounts but that only will get you 1/2 way there in my opinion and the 377 belt is a band-aid for the issue.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69971

The link above is to the kit I make. Inexpensive and IT WORKS!!

Mike

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Proper alignment, proper settup FOR THE BELT YOU CHOOSE TO RUN (not necessarily the 377 band-aid), gear down a bit and get a set of aftermarket rollers (stock may be junk in 4-500 miles), and you will be fine. venting helps also. Stock settup is great for running the roads, belt cooker on the hills.

M
Dec 31, 2007
mine still uses belts even after the updates were done but not near as bad. still running 166 belt. i can visually see the clutch alignment is out but the doo dealer refuses to even check it. i will put up with it for the rest of the season then pull the rear motor mounts out to slot them. awsome sled otherwise.

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
had my motor aligned 1000 miles ago and still on that belt[377] and it looks great---800-1200 miles a belt is all i have ever gotten out of any belt on any sled--doo or poo:D:)

T
My alignment on mine was on from the factory...(i got lucky:)) installed some vents and still working on clutching. But even with that belt heat was still way tooooo hot.

Added more pin weight changed primary spring and wrode it this weekend in 3 feet of fluff. After a loonnnnng pull (like crazy long, the kind where you think something should blow anytime) I can take my glove off and hold the belt. It's still hot but I can hold it. It used to leave skin on the belt if you touched it.

You have to get the junk clutch setup out of it. I have 450 miles (hard miles) on the 377 and still looks brand new.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills
Every motor is going to vibrate and the majority of the vibration is in line with the line of the cylinders (ie) up and down. And since the pull between clutchs on a XP is almost in line with the cylinders. The center to center changes that amount. In more conventional sleds the vibration does not change the center to center as much. And that constant change in center to center is always going to make heat. Can you get something to last? Sure but it will never be as efficient as a belt running 90 degrees to centerline of the cylinder. But hey these are just my opinions.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
Without the floating secondary you will never solve the alignment issue.

The motor is never all ways in the same position.

One component or another will always give some.

You can set perfect alignment at first, mid or full throttle with the fixed secondary.
As a floating secondary will move with the motor to be closer to alignment at all times.

Piss poor design IMO.

M
Dec 24, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
I have 400 miles on my current belt. My first belt lasted 130 miles, but this one is hanging in there. My clutch tune-up was done by Xtreme Performance here in CO.

I tip the scales at 275 and spend most of my time in the deep pow, so my belt definitely gets a workout. I have a 377 as a spare, but have yet to put it on.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
In my first 400ish miles with the 166 belt I must have gone through 7-8 belts. It was very frustrating. Got the 377 and aligned the clutches in late January. Have put on about 500 miles since then. My 377 still looks brand new. When I was running the 166 i had to ride easy, especially in the powder, because the harder I worked the clutching the faster the belt fried. On the Northern Utah Doo Talk ride I went through 3 belts in 3 days. I have beat the sheit out of this 377 belt. I work it harder than I ever worked the 166 and it still looks perfect. I have friends who still have the stock 166 on thier sleds that came on it from the factory with some having over 1000 miles on them. I think my problem was mostly alignment, it was way off, but I think the belt helped a lot too.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
The motor will always move some. Period.
Thats the plus of a floating secondary.
The stock secondary is fixed. (not good)
I agree getting the alignment correct, helps a ton but.
If you let the secondary move with the motors slight movements you will have better belt life and cooler clutches.

Premium Features