• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help w/buying a king cat

S
Mar 4, 2008
Bend, OR
okay so this deal seems too good to be true...its an 05 king cat, dont know if its carb or efi. 3200 miles for 1350! i got my mountain cat with similar milage and its been a great sled. it looks decent in pictures but the guy says it needs some TLC. I asked him why its so cheap and he said it has a chain case problem or top end, which makes me think he has no idea because those are two very different problems. My geuss is its not running great, i could deal with about any problem for that price, i just want to make sure its not a bad crank, i think i remember reading some threads on here about kcs blowing cranks. how do you identify a bad crank/symptoms? im gonna try and get it out on snow and see if i can figgure it out

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I would guess he meant top end or crank case. The cranks seemed easy to knock out of phase, usually from blowing a belt when on the throttle. Thats a really cheap price, but not if you need a whole different engine. To check the phase you would need a dial indicator and timing light.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You need a dial indicator and check for runout on the edge of the clutch, If it is twisted it will have excessive runout. Also take the clutch and see if the crank has excessive end play. Had the end play on my old 650 wildcat like .030 but ran it that way for yrs. If you need some parts like shocks, rear rack etc... just e mail.

Mike

S
Mar 4, 2008
Bend, OR
i dont have a timing light or dial indicator, but if i were to ride it could i differntiate between a top end problem and a crank problem besides checking the primary for play?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Well then your SOL, At idle it will look as if it is jumping all over the place, Try spooling it up and see if it self ctr'e You will see a definate difference but you will hardly telll unless a dial indicator is used! Just ask honestly of him if it blew a belt or two? I would put a 03.5 engine in there and have fun! A wee bit more torque all the way through the power band!

Good luck
Mike

Premium Features