• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat rpm

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I have an 04 King that I bought blown up so I dont know much about it. I just got it running and I have been slowly troubleshooting and tuning, and I think I have the motor tuned pretty well. It has slp twins, a gutted airbox and V force 3's, I was wondering what rpms I should be shooting for. It runs about 8500 now but I have always heard that Cat tachs run 150-200 rpms high so that should put me in the 8300 range.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
So if what I've heard about the cat tachs reading high is true then I'm not too far over. Thanks

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
You are close, the stock tachs are about 200 high. Be careful with those pipes on the road/trail. They have a wicked LEAN spot at mid throttle. I am betting thats what burned it down in the first place. You have to work the throttle constantly on the road with those pipes.

W
Oct 10, 2008
Craig, Colorado
I have 2 04 King Cats.
The stock one runs about 7300rpm
The modified one has twin Speedwerx pipes, it runs about 7900 rpm

You probably need to turn up the oil pump as they will not get enough oil if you are loafing along without blasting the throttle. I fried both engines this year do to the oil pumps were (marks lined up) set to low.

Premium Features