• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat jetting

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I tried the search and didnt find what I needed so here goes. I just bought a burned down 04 king from a guy. He only had it for a week or so and rode it maybe 7 minutes and it seized. It was lean and seized on the mag side, the pto side looked good. I just got it tonight and havent pulled the carbs yet to see what I'm starting with. It is stock with slp twins on it and I was just wondering where I should start on jetting. Thanks

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
first i would get down to the bottom of the problem....cant say it seized from being too lean if you havent gotten a good look at it....i seized mine up on the mag side last year and it was from a thermostat gone bad. EGTs werent working at the time which is the last time that will ever happen.

what elevation? any other mods? filterpods? also the main jets are only 3/4 to 4/4 throttle position...the 900s are known to have a lean spot in them to begin with. The motor seems to outrun the fuel intake at a certain RPM. a little more info and we might be able to get you headed in the right direction

meat

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
No other mods. Altitudes from 4k to 6500 and sometimes 7500. What is strange is that the cylinder that burned down is new, which leads me to believe this is a recurring problem. Would a thermostat only do that to one cylinder? It is definetly going to get egt gauges if I stay with the twins I dont like not knowing whats going on!

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
well easiest thing to do is check your thermostat...pull it out, put it in a pan of hot water and see if it opens.....drain your coolant pull the heads off and see for yourself whats going on in there...for the most part from my experience the mag side is usually the one to go first.

take some pics of your cylinder, the piston and down inside the case of the mag side....there are some guys on here that can tell you exactly what the problem is...also get pics of your plugs, label them mag/pto side. find out what your jets are, what clip your needle is at and anything else that may seem not normal....without taking a look at it, this is the best advice i can give you

mine is running 460's at the same elevation. I do have a touch more motor mod and bored carbs. I would hedge a guess at 440's and go from there. if you are burning the same hole down it could be an air leak, oil line, carb blockage.......need to see the piston to tell. if you go to slps site you can download all the clutching and jetting specs there.....should be close.

Premium Features