• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP big bores - lets compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
First off, a dyno never won a race. There is a reason why Struthers doesn't dyno.

Second, a race setup is not always the best for everyday riding. Freak used to have one of the fastest 800's I had seen on hardpack, but in powder it would get it handed to him.

Last, I have ran into several Trigstad motors in everyday riding and none have ever impressed me at all. Again, his motors may be good on the racetrack, but in 4' of powder, they have not been that great.

O
Aug 17, 2009
First off, a dyno never won a race. There is a reason why Struthers doesn't dyno.

Second, a race setup is not always the best for everyday riding. Freak used to have one of the fastest 800's I had seen on hardpack, but in powder it would get it handed to him.

Last, I have ran into several Trigstad motors in everyday riding and none have ever impressed me at all. Again, his motors may be good on the racetrack, but in 4' of powder, they have not been that great.

CC, you have got to be kidding me....Someday you will come to the JH Hillclimb and if your lucky enough to get a peak inside Team Arctic Cats trailer you will witness a full blown race shop complete with dyno so there Team racers know exactly what HP there machines are capable of on race day. These race Teams are so sophisticated at the race track that they leave nothing unturned when it comes to winning

As for Jack Struther. we ALL know he's in tight with SLP Jack's BB kits come from SLP shop, where all the dyno work is done.

There 2 types of Dyno's that tell the story.....

1. A crank dyno tells the engine builder everything they need to know about there motor performance potential

2. A chassie dyno is a great tuners tool which allows the tuner to clutch there sled to determine the best trackspeed possible at various elevation, temps & barometric pressures.....It's an amazing simulation tool.

Come on you guy's a dyno is a valueable tuning tool and to here you guy's spouting off about the dyno is just BULL SH!T !!!!

OT

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny be bad
J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
first off, a dyno never won a race. There is a reason why struthers doesn't dyno.

Second, a race setup is not always the best for everyday riding. Freak used to have one of the fastest 800's i had seen on hardpack, but in powder it would get it handed to him.

Last, i have ran into several trigstad motors in everyday riding and none have ever impressed me at all. Again, his motors may be good on the racetrack, but in 4' of powder, they have not been that great.

no dyno's dont win races! But they will show where the powers made! If there motor makes 172hp at 8200 rpm, and only makes 120 for 7000-8000 who wants a peaky motor? And what air flow at 172hp did it make? You can read a lot from dyno numbers! And im glad to see none of the big talkers could post there dyno numbers! Why?

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
CC, you have got to be kidding me....Someday you will come to the JH Hillclimb and if your lucky enough to get a peak inside Team Arctic Cats trailer you will witness a full blown race shop complete with dyno so there Team racers know exactly what HP there machines are capable of on race day. These race Teams are so sophisticated at the race track that they leave nothing unturned when it comes to winning

As for Jack Struther. we ALL know he's in tight with SLP Jack's BB kits come from SLP shop, where all the dyno work is done.

First off, I think I was pretty clear that racing and recreational riding are 2 different things!! Second, Jack does not use SLP, that I believe could be the stupidest thing you have ever said!! Go ahead and tell Dan what you just said and see if he gives you the same response.

Never said a dyno wasn't a good tool. PSI motors always show well on a dyno, what does that tell you!! I remember in '99 when Tri City Polaris got their track dyno. They had this great new setup for the '99 700 that just kicked a$$ on the dyno. I bought the hype and was beat by stock '99 700's everyday!!

But we all know the best way to tune a sled is with a track stand. ;)

Last edited:
O
Aug 17, 2009
Ooops your right me bad... I was thinking Carl's in Boise where our Polaris 780BB kit was put together. Which is basically a SLP BB Kit which runs wicked fast.

On this note CC, weather your racing or recreational riding we all want the most "trackspeed" possible that why you/me and the rest do BB kits, Turbo's & NOS

Trackspeed rules at the race track , up a hill or down the trail.....And in deep deep snow it's all about the trackspeed which keeps these 500# machines floating.

CC, you can't forget the "duct tape" when the sled is being tuned on the trackstand. LOL

OT

Last edited:
C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Carl's in Boise is Struthers and NO, they are not the same as SLP.

Dyno's are tools. Are you guys saying that the highest Dyno numbers always win??

I will agree that the ability to maintain track speed is key, however, a motor can make the most HP (i.e. PSI) but not be able to maintain track speed. Or maybe the pipes heat soak or starves for air at 10,000 feet. Where are these Dyno runs taking place?? That's right, they are done in the valley, not at elevation where it matters.

O
Aug 17, 2009
SLP's shop is close to 6000' in elevation. And Carl's BB kits come from SLP. Porting, Pipe, Can & Cold Air Intake are all SLP.

The best dyno # imo are runs there a done on a chassie dyno where trackspeed can be measured....

Engine HP + Clutching = Trackspeed.....you might have a great BB kit but if the clutching isn't good your great BB kit will not perform so good. Seen it alot in the field.

Who's the JACK who has the body shop north of SLC along I-15 ?

OT

Last edited:
O
Aug 17, 2009
CC, i know that in my trailer sits a Carl's 780 BB built with all SLP mods....Since you seem to think "not true". than who does provide the mod parts to Carls ?.

Do you need a pic to prove it ?

OT

O
Aug 17, 2009
CC, last season my neighboor was have some minor issue's with his Carl's 860 BB he bought from Carl's. Rather than going 250 miles back to carl's for the fix (down time) carl's told him to go to SLP 50 miles away for the fix and 3 day
turn around.

I thinks its fair to say that that Carl's & SLP work very very close together.

OT

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado

And this assertian comes from bumping into a few here and there? But, never having owned or been around one for any real length of time?

That is what I love about sledding on anygiven day you can bump into someone who you don't know thier level of tuning or riding ability but, can by watching a few minutes you can ascertain the performance of the mods on the sled.

I have met plenty of guys who can't tune that go out and buy a ex hillclimb sled or a ready made turbo but, their level of tuning knowledge is sub-par at best and their new pride and joy gets smoked by mildly modded well tuned stockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features