• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP big bores - lets compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
Frog, with all due respect.. this is simply not true..
don't feel singled out... this is a HUGE misconception among most people..

I will try and explain, and I will generalize and keep it very simple..

1) Given 2 engines running at the same rpm.. if one engine has more HP, it automatically has more torque.. ALWAYS!! Torque is measured and HP is calculated via mathematical formula using TORQUE as one factor.

2)HP and torque can NOT be separated in terms of what is doing what with respect to how your engine runs (see #1).. They are connected ALWAYS and can not be separated..

3)Stating that torque is what is accelerating you down the track is simply incorrect.. Why? See #1 and #2 above..

Now, here is where the "FUN" begins...and hopefully, I can related to this Big Bore topic..

1st.. a few basics... Engines need to be clutched ALWAYS at peak HP rpms..

ANY good engine will have a peak torque output rpm 2-500 rpm LOWER than the peak HP output rpm. WHY.. Because you clutch for peak HP.. NOT peak Torque..

So, when your engine is heavily loaded and it begins to drop a few hundred rpms.. It will fall into its PEAK Torque realm and have a much easier time at recovering and returning back to peak HP rpms... Hence, the reason for having the engine' speak torque rpms lower than its peak HP rpms.. Without this relationship.. the engine would be VERY hard to clutch in a full load situation. Make sense?

When people talk about engines, they like to quote and cite peak HP numbers..For example.. RK Tek 860R makes 180HP at 8300 rpms. Peak torque is closer to 7900/8000 rpms.. OK, so, those are the peak numbers.. What MANY fail to realize is that the area under the torque curve is what really makes one engine stand out over another.

Different engines builds build TORQUE at different rates.. Some build torque rather rapidly and then hold the torque across a very wide rpm band.. This is a good engine and one that will accelerate very hard and will be very easy to clutch.. The area under this torque curve would look like a bumpy straight line with very little upward slope.
Some engine builds do not build torque quite as fast but can get to the same torque numbers as another engine.. This engine's torque curve will look like a side of a mountain.. So, while the 2 engines can make roughly the same torque and HP, their torque curve can look completely different. So, the area under the curve really tells you how the engine will "perform" under real-world operation.

In flat land racing, this curve is not so important (note: I did NOT say NOT important. just not as:confused:).. because you come out of the gate and immediately hit the desired rpms and stay there for the duration of the race. so, what the curve looks like BELOW the rpms you are running are inconsequential.

Now, boon docking and mountain riding.. Different story.. It is very common to have your engine quickly lose rpms because you are on and off the throttle. So, the flatness of the torque curve becomes a big player..

This is where the Big Bores really shine... I will speak to my BB, because it is , obviously, the one I know the most about...:D:beer;

The 860R builds torque at a very rapid rate when compared to the stock engine. It builds it faster and builds much more of it.. So, you have a very broad and very flat torque curve.. So, when on and off the throttle OR when your sled hits a super "Deep" spot and drops some rpms.. The BB is MUCH less effected and can recover much faster than the stock engine.. WHY?? Much more TORQUE AND HP at ALL rpms.... Simple as that.. Where the stock engine will get overloaded.. the Big Bore will be much less effected by it and continue to pull...

The RKT 860R has massive torque and HP increases in the 6500-8000 rpm band. So, it has a much easier time handling anything "HIGH LOAD" situation it encounters. This becomes very apparent when banging a steep hill with 3ft of fresh and deep powder.. There is no comparison between the Big Bore and the stock engine.

Kelsey

No offense taken, I am wrong quite often and that is how I learn.

I guess I should have been simple and said the 860 makes more power and no matter how good a stock engine is it cannot compare to a lager version making more power.

I guess it is like saying my 700 will run with your 800 cause there is not much power difference but we all know that there is no replacement for displacement.

unless you bolt on a turbo and then that fargs up everything

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Yep, but that's a whoooooole 'nother can of worms... lmao

I love when you lerk about a thread or 2 and then "pounce" when applicable...:D

As for said can of worms...I offered my sled up for a beating in Duluth;)...

I guess a rematch or 2 is in the cards this winter...:beer;-BJ

BTW- buy ya a beer at Majors in a couple weeks???

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
^
^
^
^
Anything less is just a mild makeover :beer;:D

OT

So when I go from 148 hp stock to 172 hp = +24 hp is just a "mild makeover" now???

I thought I was suppose to call you when I make +25 hp???

What part of "pump gas reliable trail mod package" dont you understand??...if you want a hot rod motor just call...BJ

O
Aug 17, 2009
BJ, is that your re-calculated and re-corrected dyno # you pulling out of the hat ? :D

Down at sea-level 24+ is huge BJ i'll agree.... Up here at 10,000' corrected = approx 12 to 16 HP , ( depending on the days atmopsher air makes power RIGHT ? ) isn't very much when your adding & subtracting all the elements envolved.

Bottom line the BB runs crisp and cleaner than a stocker at the "throttle" which is what the rider feels. However on the snow and in particular "deep deep snow" the BB doesn't not have a signaficant edge over a well tuned stocker @ 10,000'...On those days were the snow is stuck to the hood and you cant see the gauges, the Stocker & BB are sucking for "air" and the playing field than becomes pretty equal imo.

We have alot of these days around here !!!

OT

Last edited:
L

ledoo

Dec 8, 2007
i figure 12% should enable me to drop clickers from 3 or 4 to 1 or add equivelent weight so i ordered BJ's kit. if i'm right i'll be able to get my power to weight ratio up without giving up doughnuts.

mmmm i like doughnuts

ok it'll be more like 15% when all is said and done i don't want to shortchange his product

Last edited:
D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
i figure 12% should enable me to drop clickers from 3 or 4 to 1 or add equivelent weight so i ordered BJ's kit. if i'm right i'll be able to get my power to weight ratio up without giving up doughnuts.

mmmm i like doughnuts

ok it'll be more like 15% when all is said and done i don't want to shortchange his product

Go from Clicker 3 to 4? Noooo....you're thinking of the Split Second big bore....Big John's should allow clicker adjustments the other way. LOL.

D
Oct 13, 2008
BJ, is that your re-calculated and re-corrected dyno # you pulling out of the hat ? :D

Down at sea-level 24+ is huge BJ i'll agree.... Up here at 10,000' corrected = approx 12 to 16 HP , ( depending on the days atmopsher air makes power RIGHT ? ) isn't very much when your adding & subtracting all the elements envolved.

Bottom line the BB runs crisp and cleaner than a stocker at the "throttle" which is what the rider feels. However on the snow and in particular "deep deep snow" the BB doesn't not have a signaficant edge over a well tuned stocker @ 10,000'...On those days were the snow is stuck to the hood and you cant see the gauges, the Stocker & BB are sucking for "air" and the playing field than becomes pretty equal imo.

OT
Hey BJ and Kelsey when are you going to build a big bore that does not loose more power at elevation than a stocker. Not sure what you are doing to change the laws of science but keep trying and you will get it some day.:confused::confused: Guess I will have to wait a while. I think OT must be sucking for air as it seems that OT is short on O2 in the head.:D

O
Aug 17, 2009
hey bj and kelsey when are you going to build a big bore that does not loose more power at elevation than a stocker. Not sure what you are doing to change the laws of science but keep trying and you will get it some day.:confused::confused: Guess i will have to wait a while. I think ot must be sucking for air as it seems that ot is short on o2 in the head.:d

v v v
v v v
v v v
v v v
v v v
v v v

L

ledoo

Dec 8, 2007
Holy Cow guys i never knew adjustig your TRA clickers can make your BB run best. :beer;:D

Dang it don't work with a stocker !!!

OT

I lke dropping clickers it gives me more track speed

mmmmm i like track speed

track speed makes me happy

can you spell happy

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

OT

LOL- I have spent enough money on "dyno time" on a $50,000 computer controled HUFF dyno to choke even your big mouth...;)

BTW- whatever my BB loses...so does a stocker...+24 hp here...+24 hp at 10,000...THEY ALL LOSE the SAME % of HP at 10,000...:eek:

Your full of crap or maybe your sled runs like crap???...I have 50+ motors in "chest deep snow bla bla bla" and in "chest deep snow bla bla bla" MY 860 out runs stockers and in many cases bigger sleds and even several PG turbo sleds...

So either quit making excuses and shut up or call me for a motor...I'm sick/tired of your "SHR motors cant" BS... BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Hey BJ and Kelsey when are you going to build a big bore that does not loose more power at elevation than a stocker. Not sure what you are doing to change the laws of science but keep trying and you will get it some day.:confused::confused: Guess I will have to wait a while. I think OT must be sucking for air as it seems that OT is short on O2 in the head.:D

Thank You for using "common sense"...unfortunatly...some are lacking this quality...BJ

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
LOL- I have spent enough money on "dyno time" on a $50,000 computer controled HUFF dyno to choke even your big mouth...;)

BTW- whatever my BB loses...so does a stocker...+24 hp here...+24 hp at 10,000...THEY ALL LOSE the SAME % of HP at 10,000...:eek:

Your full of crap or maybe your sled runs like crap???...I have 50+ motors in "chest deep snow bla bla bla" and in "chest deep snow bla bla bla" MY 860 out runs stockers and in many cases bigger sleds and even several PG turbo sleds...

So either quit making excuses and shut up or call me for a motor...I'm sick/tired of your "SHR motors cant" BS... BJ

It only took 30 pages for BJ to finally TELL IT LIKE IT IS!!

That is some serious patience my friend, trying to teach an idiot...

O
Aug 17, 2009

BJ your a F:eek:ckin Cry Baby !!!!.... @ 10,000 ' ALL BB kits only have a slight edge over a stocker in deep deep snow conditions. If a BB kit @ 10,000feet in deep deep snow has 10 extra ponies i would be surprised.

LMAO , you want folks to believe your BB kit works better than a turbo sled ?.....Get your head out of your "ars" BJ your not fooling anyone except yourself & maybe the newcomers.

OT

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I hope to beat up on even MORE turbo sleds with my new SHR860 than I did with my STOCK 800R! The turbo guys HATE it when you do that :D....and I have witnesses! Come on OT, just give John a call and get one of those little 860's coming, I KNOW you want one. :beer;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features