• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP big bores - lets compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
I've kept my "quest to make it run" off the main forums...just some PM's. I don't think the issues are anything to do with what Split Second built....I think it's a Doo problem and I didn't want to send any bad vibes at Ralph. This thread came up, and I thought that I better mention that between mine and several others I have talked with this season, it appears that the 800R big bores are hit and miss.

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
bj 860

I just got back from a week of riding with my SHR (BIG JOHN) 860. Here are the 3 sleds I rode with for a week,
1. a CPC TM8 at 10#,s, race gas
2. a 900 cat turbo at 10#'s, and
3. an m8 with 50shot of NOS.

The 860 will out race/out climb all expect the 900 cat turbo will eventually pass the 860 on race uphill (and slowly pass, and if I hit the NOS then no pass), but in 3 feet of fresh POW the 860 was totally sick how well it worked.

I also run NOS on the 860, to give you an idea, after one week of riding, 2-3 feet fresh now, i used only 1/2 bottle of NOS, its just not nessesary at all.

have a tm1200 and it will is now for sale. Nothing is as much fun as that 860 from Big John.

FYI--7900 or 8500 it rips, runs best at 8200, but it doesnt matter. Bolt on, to the bar, go go go.. i run the team secondary and changed nothing from the 800 to the 860, just went from 19t top gear back to the 21t.

thanks bj -- superexceeded expectations, and great to deal with.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
My buddy has a speciality sled 860 with a RKtech head and it's been giving him greif all winter! it wouldn't rev over 8000rpm and was slower than a stocker, Last friday we took it out testing and had good results with the changes, he went from clicker 4 to 2 and taching 8200 and the sled seems strong but we are wondering now is it better than a stocker.
Truthfully some guys are having good luck and some are not. I don't think they are worth the $$ because of the good runners and bad runners.
If forest Gump was a sledder he'd probably say this.
"Big bores are like a box of choclates, yah never know what your going to get":D

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
LMAO Tube, your not going to convince anyone that your BJ860 beat a turbo M8 or a Turbo 900. On or OFF the happy gas.

Your 860 at sea-level at best produces 180hp at elevations above 6000 feet you just lost 30% of your HP.

There sure is alot of BS on SW lately

OT

Last edited:
T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Ok guys, I too am dealing with the hit and miss performance of these XP's. I dont have a big bore...just a head and some other work. I have a couple questions, not bashing, not taunting or anything bad. I just want to know how in the hell a NA 860 can beat an 800 on 10psi with fuel?? Are the turbo setups that bad??

Because we are just getting a 600 xp turbo to run about right and it is tested side by side with a badass running trigsdad 860. With Identicle tracks, 600 on 10 psi there is absolutely no comparison. NONE. The 600 will murder the 860 no questions asked. It runs a strong 15 mph more track speed and climbs things not possible on the 860.

So how is it that sum 860's run far better than seemingly possible while others run like stockers?? It doesnt make any sense.

L
Dec 7, 2007
My buddy has a speciality sled 860 with a RKtech head and it's been giving him greif all winter! it wouldn't rev over 8000rpm and was slower than a stocker, Last friday we took it out testing and had good results with the changes, he went from clicker 4 to 2 and taching 8200 and the sled seems strong but we are wondering now is it better than a stocker.
Truthfully some guys are having good luck and some are not. I don't think they are worth the $$ because of the good runners and bad runners.
If forest Gump was a sledder he'd probably say this.
"Big bores are like a box of choclates, yah never know what your going to get":D

Did you fix all the other issues the XPs have?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Did you fix all the other issues the XPs have?

HUH :confused:Whatta mean? like the Det sensor and Raves and such? the sled has been gone over from head to crank to carb, to clutch, has been on the computer 3 times, back to the installer of the kit twice, and to a builder in red deer. It's better than it was But I don't know if its better than stock, I havn't tried mine against it yet.

L
Dec 7, 2007
HUH :confused:Whatta mean? like the Det sensor and Raves and such? the sled has been gone over from head to crank to carb, to clutch, has been on the computer 3 times, back to the installer of the kit twice, and to a builder in red deer. It's better than it was But I don't know if its better than stock, I havn't tried mine against it yet.

What about the heat issue?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The sled hasn't made power from day 1 and will rev at 8000 to 8100 all day long no fade in rpm at all, my stock 09 doesn't have the heat issue either, I looked into the engine tech stat housing for mine to try but I can go pull after pull and still have the power so kind of a waste of $$ if yah don't need it. As far as my buddies 860 we just got it working decent so it need to be tried on the hills before we try a Stat housing on his.
I was told by a sled shop in edmonton that some customers of the 09's xp have the problem and some don't

W

wy-doo

Big John/SHR860. He's a Minnysoda flatlander, but he rides and developes his motor at Cooke City, MT. I went with him because of his accessibilty and great track record. I have never heard of one of his motors "popping" or burning down. He has 25+860's out there and I think he said only one went bye bye due to bad gas. Mine runs like a champ. If you have a about 3g's(that's taking her apart, trueing the crank, shockwave, clutch brace, and clutch kit) send the motor to him and turn him loose! You'll be happy:) I have called him about 30 times in the last 3 months and he answers about 95% of the time. The other 5% takes him half day before he'll get back to you. That IS CUSTOMER SERVICE:beer;

I will second The SHR860 A great guy and a strong 860

G

GRAHAM

Sep 2, 2008
Clovis cali.
hey deaner, Im running a engine-tech 860 in my 09 xp 163. Heres the combo e-t 860 w/ 13.5 domes, v-force reeds, stock pipe w/HPS can 540 mains 30 thou shim under needle, timbersled air box delete kit. ecm re-flash ( engine-tech) shock wave helix. she runs 1150-1200 on a nice long pull. vp110/91 oct @50/50 We ride out west 7-10k ft Let me tell you THIS THING RAILS!!!! for 3k you can have ALOT of fun! (not like our turbo nytro's...35K :eek:) Dont hesitate to build this sled youl luv the BB. also check Big john and trigstad, my buddy runs a 880 trigstad and it hauls balls! (byeatts) This guy knows ALOT about doo,s also. Good luck to ya !!!! were starting to accumulate alot of xp,s in our group with different combo's so dont hesetate to call and ask questions. ask for Sean 2 West coast sleds. (559)392-1182. Good luck to ya Brotha!!!:beer;:beer;:beer;

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
x2. Im definatley putting one in after seeing and hearing about cory making it over monster on one. Also all the other pulls that he's done.
Anyone know whos nos kit he runs?

Holtzman I think, also I think that sled has a 146 track or sumthing like that.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I have a question! When the sleds operating parameters are not being met, like the temps increase and the ecm retarded the timing, Isn't the check engine light supposed to come on or the temp light come on if the temp reaches 141 deg and goes into limp mode by retarding the timing. If there is two stages to the timing retard like everyone says shouldn't the computer be able to pick up a code With the BUDDS at either stage.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have had an RKT 860 in my XP all winter. It has run very, very well. Did have problems early on with the deto sensor going off. I also spent a couple days riding with RKT and BigJohn. I would highly recommend either of thier kits. They both run very strong when set up with their specs. Stock XP not even close.

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
hey deaner, Im running a engine-tech 860 in my 09 xp 163. Heres the combo e-t 860 w/ 13.5 domes, v-force reeds, stock pipe w/HPS can 540 mains 30 thou shim under needle, timbersled air box delete kit. ecm re-flash ( engine-tech) shock wave helix. she runs 1150-1200 on a nice long pull. vp110/91 oct @50/50 We ride out west 7-10k ft Let me tell you THIS THING RAILS!!!! for 3k you can have ALOT of fun! (not like our turbo nytro's...35K :eek:) Dont hesitate to build this sled youl luv the BB. also check Big john and trigstad, my buddy runs a 880 trigstad and it hauls balls! (byeatts) This guy knows ALOT about doo,s also. Good luck to ya !!!! were starting to accumulate alot of xp,s in our group with different combo's so dont hesetate to call and ask questions. ask for Sean 2 West coast sleds. (559)392-1182. Good luck to ya Brotha!!!:beer;:beer;:beer;

Thanks man. :beer; Good to hear some feedback on the different kits. How does your Engine tech big bore compare to the others like the trigstad. Are they fairly even. (sorry........my question mark isnt working. Instead I get a stupid little e with a mark above it:confused:) Have you run against many stockers. How much of a difference is there.

Ive been kind of leaning towards going with Art just because of the feedback that I have heard from another guy that knows quite a bit about two stroke engine building. Plus, I talked to Art a few times when I was buying my heads and he seemed like an awesome guy. Never had any problems getting a hold of him. Plus, with this crazy exchange rate Im probably better off to buy from a Canadian engine builder if I can.

Its probably going to turn into a summer project now because I think I am done sledding for the year. Good to know what direction to go in once a guy does decide to do something though.:beer;

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Oh.......and why 50% race with a 13.5 to 1 head. Is the port timing that aggressive with this kit or is it because of the changes your buddy made.

J

jdog

Nov 28, 2007
central wa
big bores

I have a Trigstad 860 and the sled flat rips. love the broad aray of torque and reliablilty. have 900 mile on it this year and love every minute of it. for all u guys that r saying u can't pull ur rpms I had the same problem right away and it was the fuel pump. took apart my fuel pump on an 09 xp with 200 miles on it and found a hole in the diaphram. the only way i figured it out was that i could only get about 50 miles to a tank of fuel. It was blowing gas out the vent tube and sending it through the case so u never new. cheap fix. now pulling 8300 rpms with 15.2 grams of weight and loving every minute. I would recomend Dave Trigstad to anyone. after running against 5 or 6 RKTechs and looking down at them at the bottom of the hill all day I would rather through the money out the window. as for rktech never figured out how u build a BB and jet down to make more horsepower. my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features